Chapter 20

“Sage wake up, Sage it’s time to go,” I heard Grace say next to me as she gently shook my shoulders. I groaned and pulled the covers over my head, trying to ignore her.

                I heard her sigh, and I gripped my blanket tighter when I figured out her intentions. She yanked but I didn’t release my hold. I’d hardly had any sleep. When Dan and I had returned from the Pitt, we’d arrived just in the nick of time to break up the beginnings of a fight between Todd and Banks. Though, I suppose it wasn’t really a fight, because for it to be considered that, it would’ve meant both of them had been involved.

               No, really we’d just turned up in time to stop Todd from making the worst mistake of his life. He’d been yelling and throwing out threat after threat, pointing his finger accusingly and waving his fist, all while Banks had merely watched with faint amusement; completely carefree as he lay on his bed with his hands behind his head and his feet propped up on a pillow.

               We’d taken Todd out of the room and managed to convince him to wait for them to be paired up to fight. However, I hadn’t been so sure he’d meant what he’d said. Aware of both Todd and Banks’ every movement, I’d slept on the bridge between awake and asleep; keeping an eye on Todd in case he decided to act moronically, and aware of Banks in case he decided to retaliate in the dark.

               “Get up, Amar won’t like it if we’re late,” Grace insisted and I groaned a last time before I got up and shoved my covers away.

               I had to stifle a gasp when I saw the state her face was in. The bruises I’d seen yesterday had darkened considerably; she was a patchwork of purple-green splotches.

               “Is it that bad?” She asked, trying to sound as if she were joking, but instead sounding defeated.

               I swallow and shook my head, trying to sound as earnest as possible.

               “Umm, no?” I said, but frowned at my own lie. I’d have to do better. I took a breath and forced a smile on my face. “I’ve seen worse,” I added; which was true, I’d inflicted that and much more on bullies I’d faced back when we’d still attended school.

               She chuckled and rolled her eyes, but I could see my failed attempt had lighted her mood.

               “Haha, nice try. I almost believed you. Better keep practicing.” She grinned and then pointed at her watch again. “Hurry, we don’t want to be late.” She handed me a muffin.

               I glanced at the bed across form mine where Carla was attempting to rouse Dan. He hadn’t stayed up, but it wasn’t a surprise to see him out like a rock; he always slept late, and I was sure if given the opportunity he’d waste the day away without ever getting up.

               “Thanks guys, I’ll wake him, you two go ahead,” I said as I made my way over to his bed.

               As they left, I managed to coax him up by promising him my muffin in exchange for his cooperation. I changed quickly, brushed my teeth and splashed water on my face, completely ignoring my hair as I jogged over to the training room with Dan in tow.

               We made it with only seconds to spare, and I regret not getting up earlier to eat breakfast when my stomach growled in disapproval. I glanced at the board, and whatever drowsiness I’d felt evaporated, replaced instead with eagerness.

               Dan would be up against Howard, Grace would be with Samantha, Carla against a somewhat-recovered Pam, me with Billy, and Todd against Banks.