Chapter 23

“Everybody up!” a booming voice ripped through the darkness. Beams coming from flashlights sliced through the air, and through my haze of sleepiness I could see that people were streaming into the room.

                Jerking up and out of bed, I immediately crossed over to where Grace lay and used my body as a sort of shield against the attack. I clenched my fists and then squinted, trying to make sense of the scene. No, this wasn’t an attack at all. What was going on?

                I could see Amar through the crowd, and I relaxed, but only slightly. As my eyes took in the faces of the rest of the people, recognizing some from the Pit, I finally saw who’d spoken. His vivid hair brought his name immediately to mind; Red, the one in charge of the dauntless initiates.

                “Didn’t you hear me? Everyone get the hell up right now!” He barked again.

                I could hear Dan snoring somewhere to my right, and I quickly jabbed him until he groaned and attempted to swat me; the boy could sleep through an earthquake, I swear. With all of us blinking wearily and trying to hide yawns, we attempted to form a somewhat organized line.

                “Took you long enough.” Red snapped impatiently. “Now listen up, you have five minutes to get dressed and meet us by the train tracks. We’re going to play a little game.” He said the last part in an almost threatening manner.

                As he and the other figures turned to leave, I rushed back to my bed. Shoving my feet into my boots, and throwing a shirt on, I sprinted through the dark passageways and across the Pit. Brushing the beads of sweat of my temple, I grinned when I saw that Grace was managing to keep up.

                It had been two days since we’d visited the fence, and even in such little time, the training Dan and I had put Grace through was beginning to show; in her last two fights she’d actually come out the victor, beating out Pam one day, and Howard the next. Following our tips, she was slowly rising in the ranks.

                I’d had to fight Todd, which I’d been less than happy to do since his face was still healing, and had won easily once again. Then the previous day, I’d been assigned to Dan, which oddly enough hadn’t been such a bad experience.  Probably the ease of it came due to the fact that it hadn’t been so much a fight, but rather us playing; wrestling and horsing around, while attempting to appear serious. I’d won the match simply because I’d managed to get Dan in a hold he couldn’t escape.

                Since Max and the other dauntless man -Harrison I think his name was- didn’t show those two days, Amar was vigilant and kept things from ever getting out of hand; and by that I mean that whenever Banks was up, Amar stayed close to the ring and never took his eyes off the fight.

                Even with Amar’s precautions though, it seemed destined that whoever was paired with Banks would inevitably come out of the ring harmed in some way; mutilated even. I could still see the bald patch on the side of Samantha’s head where Banks had ripped away a handful of hair. He’d thrown her to the ground, but never released his hold, and we’d all heard the cringe-worthy sound of her roots being torn free.

                Even Billy, who I grudgingly had to admit was a decent fighter, couldn’t come out unscathed. When he’d been paired against Banks the next day, he’d given his all only to come out with dislocated shoulder. Taken to the hospital immediately, Billy wasn’t discharged until late at night.

                Though he didn’t say anything, I could see Amar’s patience wearing thin, and he wasn’t the only one. During every one of his fights, I never wasted the opportunity to note any weaknesses I could find; sure that Banks was doing the very same. In fact I was sure of it. After every fight, it was inevitable; we’d lock eyes and again I could feel my rage pulse through me as if it were blood rather than just an emotion.