Chapter 22

Like clockwork, I woke up early the next day. It seemed that my body was already adjusting to the new schedule. Stretching slowly and letting some of my joints pop, I thought about getting up and getting ready. I paused though, when I suddenly took in the stillness of the room.

               I could still hear the sounds of sleep from most of the bunks, and as I raised my head I was surprised to see that almost everyone was still in bed. The only missing body was that of Banks, who I could only assume had already gone to breakfast.

                Lying on my stomach, with my hands tucked beneath my pillow, I let out a quiet sigh and stayed put. Basking in the near-silence, I let my thoughts wander to what I’d done all afternoon yesterday.

                After spending the first half of the day teaching Grace some key moves to use on an opponent, we’d been joined by Dan who’d been more than happy to add his own input. Thankfully Grace was a fast learner, and by the end of the day she’s learned how to slip out of a hold, and even how to land a solid blow to someone larger than her.

                Dan had volunteered, and after many attempts Grace was able to free herself from any choke-hold he’d managed to get her in. Her talents lay in the fact that she was exceptionally fast and nimble. That would be the key to her survival, and even her eventual win. If she was able to tire out her opponent and get a good hit, she’d be sure to win.

                Carla hadn’t returned until much later, almost to the point it was bedtime, and she’d spent most of the remaining time talking to Grace rather than Dan and I. I found it slightly suspicious, but eventually pushed it from my thoughts; surely if they’d said or done anything bad she’d tell us.

                As I heard the sound of yawns and shuffling feet, I sighed and got up. Amar had told us we were supposed to be at the tracks by eight fifteen. After getting ready, I head down to the cafeteria and grabbed an armful of muffins.

                By the time I was back in the room, Grace had already woken up Dan, and Carla was tying her shoes. I tossed them each a muffin and then as a group we made our way to the Pit. From there we went up the stairs to the glass building above it, and then out the exit.

                As I finished the last of my muffin and pitched the wrapper over the side of the building, I turned to face Carla. “So what did Billy and the others want to talk to you about?”

                Carla froze mid-chew, and I could hear as her as she swallowed loudly. “Nothing really, they just wanted to congratulate me on the win.”

                Like a gong in a quiet room, I heard the dishonesty in her voice. I frowned and raised a brow. “Oh really? That’s all they wanted to say?”

                “Yeah, that’s all.” She said as she broke eye contact and stared down at her shoes.

                It irritated me to no end to be lied to, especially right to my face, but I knew this wasn’t the time to prod. I nodded brusquely and then unconsciously stepped away. I could only hope that whatever she was hiding wasn’t something that could be perilous to those around me.

                I could hear the rumble of the train as it approached us, and I bounced on the balls of my feet in anticipation. Amar stood at the front of the pack, close to the tracks. He waved us up stepped back as we started to jump in. Rather than be first, I waited until everyone but Amar had gotten in to advance.

                I grabbed the handle on the side of the car and pulled myself in smoothly, moving aside as Amar hopped in shortly afterwards. On the left side of the car sat Billy, Howard and Samantha; each of them sporting an array of old and fresh bruises. Banks stood near the opposite doorway, holding the handle and essentially ignoring everyone in the car, and on the right side sat Dan, Grace and Carla.