Chapter 24

Huddling into a loosely-formed circle, we all grouped around Amar and leaned forward in anticipation.

                “In about fifteen minutes, the other team will pick their location. I would advise you all to take this time and put together a strategy. We’re not erudite, but intellectual awareness is an important portion of your dauntless training.”

                We all nodded in agreement, and as Amar took a step back and crossed his arms, I realized he wouldn’t be the one calling the shots. There were a few moments of awkward silence, and I realized our group would need a nudge to get going. We couldn’t waste any time.

                “We should make a plan before anything else.” I offered, taking the flag from Amar and toying with it, hoping someone else would step up and take charge.

                “Who says you get to make the rules around here, transfer?” one of the dauntless-born boys asked. He had short wiry hair and skeptical eyes.

                “Well none of you are pitching any ideas.” Dan said as he came to stand next to me.

                “Well maybe we just didn’t get the chance to.” The boy said with a scoff.

                “Then maybe you should’ve jumped in sooner.” Dan snapped back.

                Not wanting things to take a turn for the worst, I held an arm out and gave Dan what I considered my best calm-down-I’ve-got-this look.

                “Jude, relax,” I heard Finn say to the boy as he placed a hand on his shoulder.

                Holding the flag as if it were an offering, I spoke to everyone in a clear voice.

               “If any of you want to take the reins, by all means go ahead.” I said calmly, and when no one answered continued. “Like I was saying, we should form a plan of attack. It would be stupid to just go running off without a clue on what to do.”

                “I agree, so how should we start this?” Finn said.

                I looked at our teammates, and then ran a hand through my hair as I considered what to say.

               “I think we should find a good place to hide our flag, keep it guarded with a few people, and the rest of us could go out and try and find the other team’s location.” I proposed.

                Dan, Grace, Todd and Pam nodded, satisfied with my proposal, and I watched as the dauntless-born exchanged glances amongst themselves. It was only when Finn gave them all a look that they seemed to relax. What I’d previously thought when I first met him was true then. Finn was, undeniably, someone they all looked up to and respected; enough, so that if he was willing to give my plan his seal of approval, they could as well.

               The monstrous boy, Biff, was the first to speak. “How should we split up?” He asked, cracking his knuckles in anticipation.

                I gave our group a quick glance, accessing their strengths and weaknesses, and then grabbed a nearby twig so I could create a sketch in the muddy ground.

“We find a good, inconspicuous location to hide the flag first-“ I said as I drew a little x and circled it.

                “I know a place,” one of the dauntless-born girls said. I recognized the blue streak in her hair and remembered Randi had introduced her as her best friend.