Chapter 9

My final class of the day, normally taught by an older and surly erudite woman, was cut short when it was announced she was sick and had been substituted by a notably friendlier amity man. He got through the lesson quickly and when he checked his watch and saw our expressions, he was quick to wave off the extra time and allowed to leave early.

                “You guys are such a wonderful group of students. I feel your actions merit leaving class a little early don’t you think?” he said as he went around the room collecting our assignments. “Besides, tomorrow is a big day for all of you. Take these final moments to really reflect on your possible future, and don’t forget, you have nothing to worry about. Just trust the test.”

                After gathering our things and turning in our books, Danny and I cleaned out our lockers, making sure to leave them spotless for the next year’s group of students. Slamming the metal door shut, I noticed Danny grinning mischievously as he tucked a pen in his back pocket.

                 “What did you do?” I asked, leaning over him to peer inside.

                “Left a little note for whoever gets my locker,” he said, opening the door further to reveal his message.

            In the far corner of his locker, scrawled in his curved handwriting, and so small I had to squint to read it, it said;

‘Dear future inhabitant of locker C46, as my candor-riffic upbringing has taught me, I feel it is only fair to disclose that at one point or another, there may-or may not have been a mouse in here. (Okay, okay, there was definitely one in here) Fear not though, I’m pretty sure my furry tenant left after I threw out those moldy sandwiches I saved and then forgot. Sincerely, Danny TheSexyBeast Gallows. PS. If you do happen to see him, his name is Po and he likes crackers.’

             Laughing so hard my stomach actually ached, I playfully ribbed him. “I can’t believe you wrote that.”

               “What? I had to look out for my little man Po, can you imagine? He scurries in here, all chill and looking for a snack only to be attacked by some prejudiced newbie?”

              “Prejudiced?” I snorted.

            “Yeah man, people just judge the little guys. They don’t get that a mouse has to do what a mouse has to do. It’s a tough life out there.”

                “You do know he was probably ridden with diseases and parasites right?” I snickered.

               “Whatever man, Po was too fucking cute to be contaminated with anything,” he retorted as he slammed his locker shut, “and anyway, I cleaned everything so it’s not like it’s unsanitary in there.”

               “Cute huh? That’s a very manly thing to say,” a voice said from behind us.

               “Hey Randi,” I greeted as she made her way towards us, a smirk on her face.

             Danny chuckled and shrugged. “Yeah cute, I’m not afraid to say it,” he ran a hand through his hair theatrically, “I’m pretty confident in my masculinity.”

            Randi snorted and jabbed his shoulder playfully. “Where are you two heading?” she asked us.

             “My dad’s back from his trip to erudite, so I’m just going to go ahead and spend all the time I have left with him,” Danny said, already pulling his backpack on and heading for the door, “You’re mom invited us over for dinner though, so I’ll see you later tonight Sage.”