Chapter Ten

My brain can't process what just happened. He kissed me. Why the hell did he kiss me? My tears slowly fall onto my lips, washing away the taste of Harry's. 

Maybe he transferred some type of supernatural thing to me when he kissed me. I mean, he's a demon. They don't just kiss people. He had to have some type of plan. This was probably all his plan. He wanted me to come here so he could kiss me.

My thoughts jump from Harry to my death wish. I was so close to dying. If Harry won't kill me, maybe I should just do it myself. I don't think I'd be able to do it, though. Without noticing, my feet move me out of the empty house and into my car.

I don't know if I should check on Hailee. She really needs me right now, but I don't know how to be optimistic for her when I can't even be that for myself. Within a few minutes, though, I'm standing outside Hailee's door. As I raise my hand to knock, she opens the door, surprising me.

"I am so glad you're here!" She squeals, wrapping me in her arms. The gesture feels odd, and I quickly wriggle from her grasp.

"Yeah. I just wanted to let you know that Harry didn't really give me any information." I rub the back of my neck, leaving out the kiss. 

"Oh. We can do some research online." She suggests, waving me inside.

"Well, maybe we can do that separately. I have some errands I've been putting off that really need to get done. I'm sorry." I say with genuine remorse and walk back to my car. 

Nothing is easy for any of us. I can't beat myself up for leaving Hailee because she isn't the only one who has it rough. I'm going through this too. I may not be the one eating souls, but I feel like I'm the center of it all. 

I don't even know what to do with myself. I'm just sitting in the parking lot, staring at the sky. I should go home and research everything I can for Hailee. I may not be able to be in the same room with her, but I can still help her in some ways.

When I get home, the thought of researching just doesn't appeal to me, and I'm suddenly very tired. I throw myself onto my bed, and my eyes instantly droop shut. I don't know why I'm so tired, but I certainly don't fight it. In a few seconds, I'm overtaken by sleep.

A loud noise in my house jolts me awake. I sit up on my bed, looking around my room for the source, which I spot leaning against the door frame.

"Good nap?" Harry asks, crossing his arms over his chests.

"Please leave me alone." I shamelessly say. This has all been too much.

"I just wanted to chat. We did have an intimate moment earlier." He wriggles his eyebrows at me, and I swear I have to vomit.

"I don't know what you dreamed up because you kissed me, and I hated it. That doesn't sound intimate." I point out with an undeniable attitude.

"You didn't like my kiss?" He dramatically gasps, bringing his hand to his heart.

"No, it was sexual harassment." I raise my eyebrows.

"Well, maybe I'll have to kiss you again until you enjoy it?" He pushes himself off of the door frame and walks to stand next to me by the bed.

"No, I wouldn't want that." 

"I want it, Tabitha. You can't tell me you don't find me attractive." He raises an eyebrow at me, and my heart skips a beat.

"I don't." I say too quickly. He's not a human. He's not a human. I repeat the words over and over in my head while imagining his black eyes. 

"I know you're lying." He says slowly, leaning his hands on to the bed, eliminating more space between us.