Chapter Twenty Two

I drive with purpose, steadily pushing on the gas pedal harder and harder. The image of Harry standing with Barbara continues to flash through my mind, torturing me over and over again. I couldn't care less if Harry wants to be with another girl, hell, we weren't together, but he didn't bother coming after me. He could have easily popped in the car using his demon powers.

He's allowing me to be on my own while demons want to find me and seek revenge. This is what I get for trusting him in the first place. 

A light in my rear view mirror catches my attention, and I look away from the road to see where it's coming from. A car trails dangerously close behind me, the headlights brightly shining into my vision. I slam my foot into the gas pedal, flying forward at a dangerous speed.

The car behind me doesn't seem phased, though, increasing it's speed as well. I don't know who would want to follow me, but I know it can't be someone good. 

The road ahead of me continues straight, leaving me no where to lose the following car. Suddnely, an engine roars behind me, and the car has pulled up beside me. My heart flips in my chest, and I dare to peek over at the driver.

All I can make out is a figure, but it's definitely a male. I hold the gas pedal to the floor, leaving the other car behind, but only for a second. I glance over at him again, and I can see something in his hand, something that he's pointing at me.

I quickly swerve off of the road into the high grass surrounding it. My shaking hands grip on the steering wheel with an unknown strength. I turn the car around then pull back onto the road, driving back to the last place I want to go, the motel.

The other car reacts to my actions quickly. His brake lights shine red in my rear view mirror before he whips the car around, following me again. I've gained some speed on him but not much.

In a flash, he's next to me again, holding the object towards my window. Without thinking, I slam on the brakes. My breathing is shallow and rapid as I wait for him to do the same. He does exactly as I suspect, and his car stops abruptly. 

I crawl into the backseat, gripping the knife tightly in my hand, momentarily jamming my foot in the passenger seat, then get out of the car. Making sure to crouch, I walk to the back of my car, watching for movement from the unknown man. I try to steady my breathing, and finally, what feels like hours, he slowly steps out of his car, the object still in his hand. 

He confidently walks towards my car, obviously thinking I'm an easy kill. Approaching the driver side window, he lifts the object to the glass then slowly lowers it with a confused expression. I take my chance, and run towards him at full speed.

He sees me before I reach him, but it's too late. I stab the knife into the man's chest with all my strength and watch the life leave his eyes along with a black cloud. As his body drops to the ground, I let out a long breath. 

My heart is racing at a speed I never knew possible, and my hands are thick with moisture. I pull the knife from the man's chest, grimacing at the blood on it. Swiftly, I wipe it clean with his coat, and get back in the car. 

I drive at a nice speed of ninety five until I see the bright sign of the Blue Moon Inn. I can't help but roll my eyes at myself as I pull into the empty parking lot. Even after I kill the engine, I remain in my seat. Maybe it's because I don't want to face Harry, or maybe it's because I need to catch my breath.

With a drawn out sigh, I make my way to the office building. The lights are still on, telling me that Barbara works all night. Damn, Barbara. When I open the door, I notice a bell chime above me. Was that there before?

The sharp cold actually feels good on my sweat covered body. As I approach the desk, Barbara comes out from the back room.

"What the hell are you doing here?" She looks me up and down, disapproval all over her face.