Chapter Twenty Three

I watch Harry run his fingers along the old map, wondering how he even knew it was under the bed. Barbara probably told him, actually. I scowl at the thought of her and her excessively large breasts. Peering down at my A cup sized chest, I roll my eyes. 

I let out a long sigh to capture Harry's attention, but he doesn't bite my bait. With a huff, I walk outside, hugging myself to shield from the cool breeze. I lean my head against the door, allowing my mind to digest everything that is happening. 

"Need a cigarette?" Hailee's voice breaks through my thoughts, and she places a single cigarette into my hand.

"Where did you come from?" I ask with an annoyed tone, taking my frustrations out on her.

"You don't wanna know." She moves my hand up to place the cigarette in my mouth, and then uses a purple lighter to ignite it.

"How the hell does a ghost come across a lighter and cigarettes?" I laugh, breathing in the toxic then slowly exhaling it into the night air.

"It's easy to steal when you're a ghost." She shakes her head, a smile creeping on her face, "Remember when we would steal cigarettes from guys at parties?"

"They deserved it!" I point my finger at her with a grin, "They were all creeps."

"So, you're stressed?" Her voice softens, and the smile on her face is erased.

"What gave me away?" I chuckle, "The fact that I took the cigarette or that I'm alone out here in the cold?"

"Both. Also, the fact that an army of demons is coming for you could cause stress for anyone." 

"It's just that most of the time, I still think this isn't actually happening, like I have to remind myself that Harry is a demon sometimes."

"And that I'm dead?" She looks down, her eyebrows knitting together.

"That's the last thing I want to remind myself of." I take a drag of the cigarette, shaking my head.

"Are you guys getting out of here tonight?"

"Yes, although, I don't want to go with him. You told me not to trust him." 

"I also told you not to make it obvious. Being a double agent means that you play for both teams, so go in there and play your role." She frowns at me like a mother, and I giggle.

"Fine. I'll go get pregnant with his demon baby!" I throw the cigarette onto the ground and go into the room.

Harry looks up at me when I come in, so I give him a small smile. I walk to stand beside him and gently rub his back.

"Did you take drugs out there?" He asks, his eyes wide as he looks at me. I mentally curse at myself, but I don't know the role I'm supposed to play.

"No, I just realized how scary all of this is. I'm glad I have you to protect me." 

"Yeah. Well, we better get going. I think we can lose them if we travel north far enough to these woods." He points to the map, but I don't bother looking. I've never been one for maps.

"Sounds like a plan." I follow him to the door, but I stop when I glance at the check in building, "Is Barbara coming?"

"No, she's going to stay here and kill the demons that come looking for you." He gets in the car, and I frown, for the keys are still in my pocket.

"How did you do that?" I ask when I get in, handing him the keys to start the car.

"You didn't lock it when you came running to me."