Chapter Thirty Two

"Are you nervous?" Harry glances at me before resuming his focus back on to the road ahead.

"If I wasn't nervous, I wouldn't be human." I say, trying to make myself feel better. The nerves bouncing inside of me are making me restless.

"Well, you're not human." He chuckles, and I can't help but smile.

"So, I shouldn't be nervous?"

"Nervous is good. It tells me that you actually want to live."

"Can't you tell what my emotions are?"

"Yeah, but I figured we should talk about it. I mean, I'd be an ass if I knew you were nervous and didn't do anything about it." He places his hand on my thigh and looks to me for approval, so I give him a small smile. His touch is actually very comforting.

"Are you nervous?"

"No, this is going to be incredible!" He exclaims, taking me by surprise. Maybe I shouldn't be nervous, or maybe he's just crazy.

"Incredible?"

"Yes. I've had to go a long time without slashing someone's throat out or ripping them in half."

"That doesn't kill a demon, though, so why would you even do that?"

"Tabitha, I need to get it out of my system. It's been unbearable not doing anything like that." He shrugs nonchalantly, but squeezes my thigh, comforting me despite his words.

"Oh." I breathe, "So, how are Liam and Dylan getting there?"

"They're not taking a human, so they'll just flash in when it's time."

"Well, sorry I'm such a burden." I say sarcastically, and I'm glad he laughs. The last thing I need to be right now is pathetic.

I lay my head back on the head rest but make sure not to move my body so Harry will keep his hand on me. Maybe his touch is such a comfort because we're connected. I steal a peek at him. His jaw is locked as he concentrates on driving. He seems to be in a good enough mood to talk about it.

"Can I ask something?" I nervously ask, knowing he doesn't like the subject.

"Go ahead." His thumb rubs circles on my thigh, giving me confidence.

"What does it mean that we're connected?" I carefully watch his reaction, but he doesn't respond negatively. His eyes shift, and he licks his lips, but that's all.

"You're not going to give up, huh?"

"Do you really think I would give up on you?"

"No." He pulls his bottom lip between his teeth and looks at me, holding his eyes on his hand that rests on my thigh. 

"Tell me, please." I say, trying to sound stable unlike how I feel. Having his eyes on me for just a moment made me flutter inside.

"Alright. Well, when we first met, I guess, I became attached to you. I know that sounds like a creepy stalker, but it's a demon thing. We can get attached to people. Like in horror movies, when the person is being followed by a demon, it's attached to them."

"That makes sense." I urge him on.

"So, I thought that I was just going to be attached you. I knew something was wrong when you went to your grandmother's and met Zayn."

"How did you know?"

"I felt...empty. I guess. It's kind of hard to describe. I had never felt that way before." He sighs and shifts in his seat.

"Like you were missing something?"

"Sort of. I could also feel that you were in trouble. It was very odd."