Chapter Seventeen

"Is everything okay?" Harry's voice startles me, making me jump, and I quickly stuff my phone in my pocket.

"Yeah, uh, it was just a telemarketer." I stumble over my words. For some reason, I don't think I should tell Harry that I spoke with my grandma.

"So, can we get back to the living room?" He asks with a chuckle.

"Yeah, I'll be in there in a second!" I flash him a toothy smile, and he gives me an odd look before leaving the room. 

I grab my phone and try to call my grandma, but it goes straight to voicemail again. Something is wrong. Although Harry could probably tell me if demons had been looking for her, I just can't bring myself to tell him I was speaking to her. 

I throw my phone on the bed then trudge into the living room, where Harry greets me with a smile. Once again, I sit next to him on the couch, and he rests his arm above me, absent mindedly playing with my hair.

"Okay, so I just have to focus." I sigh, "Are we done now?"

"Is there something else you'd rather be doing?" He asks, and even though he's smiling, I can tell he's suspiscous of something.

"I just wanted to go to the bookstore and pick up some books that deal with this." I say, trying my best to act natural.

"Alright, want me to drive?" He stands from the couch, offering me a hand.

"I was actually going to go alone." I stand up without his help and walk to the front door.

"How long do you think you'll be gone?"

"I don't know. If I'm not back by this evening, call the cops. Oh wait, you had Hailee kill all of them." I grab my purse and leave before he can say anything that will upset me.

I start the drive to my grandma's house, praying that I remember the way. She doesn't live far, though, just a thirty minute drive. I turn on the radio, suddenly missing all the times that Hailee would obnoxiously sing along to every song. Now that she's gone, I truly have nobody.

The emotions hit me hard, tears welling in my eyes and threatening to overflow, but I blink them away. I have to be tough right now. Besides, she's probably watching right now, and I don't want her to see me crying. 

Before I know it, I'm pulling into my grandma's driveway, wondering how I even got here. Everything looks the same as when I saw it six years ago. I jog to the front door, constantly looking over my shoulder for anyone that could be following me.

When I try to turn the door handle, the door opens. Well, great. Slowly, I step into the quiet little house. I see the kitchen first, and I immediately notice the spices on the ground. I move into the living room, but everything is as it should be.

The office and bathroom show no signs of anything odd either. My suspiscions grow, however, when I see that her bedroom door is shut. She never spends time in her bedroom. As slowly as I can, I turn the doorknob and push the door open.

"Baby!" My grandma yells, tears streaming down her face. She's tied to a chair in the middle of the room, a cloth around her neck that was probably restraining her from screaming.

Just as I move closer to free her, someone tackles me to the ground. My head slams against the carpet, pain exploding inside my skull. I focus on my attacker laying on top of me. It's a man with multiple tattoos, black hair with too much gel, and black eyes.

"Stupid bitch." He smiles then blinks, and his eyes are caramel. His hands grip my wrists, pinning me down on the floor.

"Let me go!" I scream, trying to squirm away from him, but he's too strong.