Chapter Twelve

I leave the room without a word and force myself not to look at Hailee's dead body as I walk to the front door. This time when I pull on it, it actually opens. As I step outside, cold rain beats against my skin, soaking me. The world seems to move in slow motion while I walk to my car. I don't bother buckling up or turning on the radio when I start the car.

I think I hear sirens in the distance as I drive away, but it could easily be my imagination. What good are the cops anyways? They obviously don't make it on time. Hailee is dead because they couldn't get in their damn cars.

When I get home, my shaking hand can't aim for the key hole, making me frustrated. It's a stupid lock on a door, and I can't even get the key in. Finally, I'm successful and slam the door shut behind me, letting the rain pound against the door.

I look at myself in the mirror by the front door, skimming my hand over the slashes on my cheek. My hair hangs in my face, heavy from the water. My clothes stick to my skin, drenched with water and blood. I angrily take off Harry's shirt and throw it to the floor with a scream.

I continue this with all of my clothing until I'm left in my bra and underwear. Shivers course over my skin, my body shaking. I bet I'm still not as cold as Hailee is. Her cold lifeless body. 

Emotions war inside my mind. Unbearable grief and sorrow tell me to cry, but I can't produce any more tears. The boiling anger inside of me begs for a way to murder Harry and seek revenge. Panic begins to engulf me, worried what is going to happen now. 

I have to get out of here. Hailee said she would leave town if she were me, so maybe I should do just that. I don't have time to move right now. I just need to pack some clothes and stay in a motel out of state.

I grab an old bag I used to use for slumber parties as a kid and jam a few shirts with a pair of jeans inside. After zipping it up, I quickly pull some clothes onto myself, grab my purse, and run to my car. The rain drums against the roof of the car as my windshield wipers try their best to clear my view.

A light on the dashboard catches my attention, telling me I'm low on fuel. I curse under my breath and pull into the nearest gas station. All the pumps are empty along with the parking spaces. I turn my car off and stuff the nozzle into the hole, glancing into the store windows.

A clerk seems to be the only one in the building, and for some reason, he's sitting on the floor. My heart quickens at the realization, and I replace the nozzle before jumping back into my car. Harry killed the clerk. That means he's on the move also.

I slam my foot on the gas, eager to get away from all of the panic and grief that I've had. Once I've been driving for a good twenty minutes, I slump into my chair and relax. I made it out. I spend the next half hour thinking about everything and then thinking about it again.

My eyes start to droop, and I decide that I should probably find a place to stay for the night. Not too many buildings line the road, so I look for a sign advertising a motel. When I look back to the road, a figure is standing in the middle of the street. 

I let out a gasp and slam my foot on the brakes, trying my best to swerve away from whatever it is. For a second, I have no idea what to do. I've never even seen a deer in the road. I put my car in park, leaving the headlights on, and step into the dark, cold night.

"What the hell are you doing?" I yell over the sound of the rain crashing into the earth.

"I couldn't let my favorite person get away." Harry's voice replies, making everything in me turn bitter. 

"You're vile! You have ruined my life. If evil was personified, it would be you. And you know what? That sucks that you have to live eternity in misery and spread it to everyone around you like a disease." I don't hold anything back. Every emotion that has been fighting for my attention rises to the surface with each word.