Chapter Fourteen

"So, exactly what the hell was that?" I ask when Harry gets in the car, speedily pulling onto the street.

"We're a pretty good team, huh?" He takes his eyes away from the road for a moment to take in my body, making me squirm under his gaze.

"All I did was scream. I don't understand it. Why do you have to have me tell you they're going to die? Why can't you just kill people?" I frown at the ease of my question. I should not get accustomed to talking about murders.

"I like to spice things up a bit. Sure, I could just run around killing people, but that's not what I want to do right now. You make things more fun." He shrugs, turning onto my street.

"So, I'm just here to help you have more fun in your game of killing people?" 

"Stop asking so many damn questions." He spits, and I coil back in my seat. I swear, he is the moodiest person I know.

"See you later." I break the silence as he pulls into my driveway, but he gives me a confused expression.

"How do you expect me to get home?" He asks, "This is your car after all." 

"You're a demon. I'm sure you don't need a car." I lean across his legs and take the keys from the ignition then get out of the car, slamming the door behind me.

"I'm staying here tonight. No questions." I hear him say behind me, and I don't even bother to argue with him. I'm tired, and for all I know, he could kill me just for having an attitude.

I walk to my bedroom without a word to Harry, kicking my shoes off as soon as I shut the door. Next, I free myself of my dress, changing into my pajamas. When I lay in bed, my mind refuses to turn off. No matter how many times I toss and turn, I can't get myself to sleep. Finally, my mind gives up and surrenders to rest.

My eyes seem to open seconds after they finally closed for good. I squint at the bright light shining above me, covering my eyes with my hand.

"Get up. We have work to do." Harry's voice commands, and I let out an obnoxious groan. 

"You've got to be kidding me." I mumble, resting my head back on the pillow. A pain shoots through my head as Harry pulls me up by my hair.

"No, I'm not." He remarks, finally letting go once I'm on my feet.

"Ouch!" I over emphasize the pain, rubbing the back of my head. 

Harry responds by throwing some clothes at me, which I assume I'm supposed to put on. I raise my eyebrows at him, and it only takes him a moment to get my message, to which he rolls his eyes, but promptly leaves the room.

As I pull my pajamas off of me, I stand in front of the full length mirror. My body is still covered in bruises, complimenting the slashes on my face. I pull on the shirt Harry picked for me, but when I look back in the mirror, my heart stops.

Hailee is standing behind me, staring at me with her cold eyes. Her skin is pale, and her hair looks dirty. I try to swallow the lump forming in my throat, closing my eyes. I count to ten then open my eyes, happy to see the room is empty.

I proceed to put the jeans on in peace. Finally, I grab a pair of tennis shoes from the closet and lace them on my feet. When I open the door, Harry isn't the one to greet me.

"Going hunting?" Hailee's mocking tone asks me, an eyebrow raised.

"Go away. You're not real." I chant, closing my eyes.

"I'm not real. That's funny. If I'm not real, then how am I here?" She chuckles and places a hand on my cheek, freezing the skin around it.

"Don't touch me!" I scream, slapping her hand away.