Chapter 3- Mines of Doom

The Fellowship followed Gandalf through the great caverns, over narrow bridges and through disused mines, with abandoned ladders, and chains. Amara walked in front of Legolas, who kept a close eye on her.

"You're sure you're okay?" Aragorn asked Amara from where he wakes in front of her. She nodded.

They reach a junction with three doorways in front of them. Gandalf looks around him puzzled.

"I've no memory of this place." He murmured.

"Are we lost?"

"No."

"I think we are."

"Ssh! Gandalf's thinking."

"Merry!"

"What!"

"I'm hungry." Amara smirked at the hobbits antics as Legolas sat down next to her.

"Are you alright?" He asked so quietly that only her elf ears could pick it up.

"I'm fine." She muttered, her eyes fixed on the three hobbits.

"I only wanted to make sure. If you and Frodo had been hurt...we didn't stop to make sure."

"Well I'm fine, Legolas." Amara stated, ending the conversation. Just then Gandalf lifted his head and smiled.

"Oh! Its that way." He nodded towards one of the tunnels.

"He's remembered" Merry jumped
up.
"No, but the air doesnt smell so foul down here. If in doubt, Meriadoc, always follow your nose." He said to the hobbit.

They all get up and follow Gandalf out. Amara walked with Gimli as they marveled over the great dwarf work. They come out of the passageway into a great cavern with many columns arising from floor to ceiling. The columns disappeared into darkness.

"Let me risk a little more light." He held up his staff and lit up the world around them. "Behold the great realm and dwarf city of Dwarrowdelf."

A huge cavern is revealed, filled with ornate columns stretching as far as the eye can see.

"There's an eye-opener and no mistake." Sam said in awe.

They walk through the center of the magnificient city. Ahead of them was a doorway with light emitting frim it. Gimli runs towards it

"Gimli!" Gandalf called after him. Amara ran after the dwarf.

"Amara!"

Gimli kneels in front of a white tomb in the center of the room. Amara looks over the tomb and let's out a gasp, falling to her knees next to Gimli.

"No, no, no." Gimli whimpered.

"Balin..." Amara whispered, placing a delicate
hand on the tomb and bowing her head.
The rest of the Fellowship followed them in. Gandalf walked up to the tomb and reads the Dwarven rhunes inscripted upon it

"Here lies Balin, son of Fundin, Lord of Moria. He is dead then. Its as I feared." Gandalf said removing his hat.
Gimli began to cry loudly as Amara let a few tears roll down her cheeks. Gandalf notices a skeleton next to the tomb holding a large book. He passes his hat and staff to Pippin and picks it up. Pages fall out of it. Gandalf blows off the dust.

"We must move on, we cannot linger." Legolas whispered to Aragorn. Gandalf began reading the book.

"They have taken the Bridge and the second hall. We have barred the gates, but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes. Drums. Drums in the deep. We cannot get out. A shadow moves in the dark. We cannot get out. They are coming." Pippin, who had backed up into a skeleton, reached out a hand to touch the arrow in the skeleton's hand. Its head fell off and into the well, bouncing off the walls. Gandalf turns around swiftly as the whole skeleton, and the chains it holds fall into the well. It bounces down, echoes are heard throughout the mines. Pippin grimaces. Everyone holds their breath, but nothing is heard. Aragorn and Boromir breathe a sigh of relief. Gandalf slams the book shut.
"Fool of a Took!" he puts down the book and takes back his hat and staff, "Throw yourself in next time, and rid us of your stupidity!"