Chapter 21- Room to Hope

Amara was tossed into a damp dark cell, the door locked and bolted behind her. She scrambled to her feet and turned but the knights were already gone. She groaned in frustration and banged her fist against the metal bars in anger. Footsteps echoed against the stone and suddenly Gandalf was standing there with Pippin at his side.

"Sorry Gandalf. I should have held my tongue." She murmured, but the wizards eyes twinkled and a smile grew on his face.

"I fear that if you did, I would have done much worse. I'll see to getting you out, don't fret Amara." He reassured.

"It was quite funny." Pippin pipped up. Amara chuckled and smiled.

"Come, let's get unpacked and settled for tonight." Gandalf said to Pippin. "Sleep well, Amara. You'll be out by morning.

Amara sat uncomfortably in her cell. It was cold and quiet, disturbed only by her breathing. Night had fallen, she could tell. She wrapped her cloak tightly around her shoulders and closed her eyes, praying that tomorrow she could leave.

--

The next morning,Amara jumped at the sound of her cell being opened. Two knights pulled her to her feet and led her out of the dungeon without a word. She protested very little, not wanted to cause her time in the cell to be lengthened.

The knights pushed her into the throne room where Lord Denethor was seeing to the day's business. Amara's lip curled to see him acting as the position of King. She wanted nothing more than to throw him off of the white city. But she remained silent as the steward finally turned to her. He's lips curled into a snarl.

"Gandalf wishes for me to release you." He stated.

"Then you would be so kind as to relieve these knights of their guard and release me of these chains." Amara said back to him, holding out her hands that were cuffed.

"Not so fast, hybrid." He spat, "The other being in you company offered his service to me in payment of my son's death. What have you to offer?"

"It was not my fault nor Pippin's fault for your sons death. We owe you nothing." Amara growled.

"How dare you!" Denethor shouted, his voice echoing against the white stone. Amara held her head high.

"Boromir is dead, Denethor. No threat you make to me nor any thing I can offer will bring him back to you. Mourn you son, yes. But do not let it drive you mad." Denethor's face turned red with anger and he opened his mouth to shout at her, but the doors behind Amara opened before he could get a word out. Amara whipped her head around to see a man who she thought dead standing there.

Her mouth hung open and she blinked rapidly. No, it wasn't him. It couldn't be. The man walked further into the throne room, brushing passed Amara.

"Father." He said, bowing slightly.

"Faramir." Denethor greeted. Of course. Faramir looked back at Amara, who was still staring at him in shock.

"Amara Silverhood?" He asked. She nodded. He turned and bowed to her.

"I am pleased to meet the woman who journeyed with my brother." Amara bowed back.

"And I am pleased to meet Boromir's brother." She responded. Faramir straightened and eyed the guards next to Amara.

"Release her, she did no wrong." He commanded.

"You have no right-" Denethor started, before Faramir rounded on him.

"Nor do you." He stated. The knights let go of Amara, undoing her chains. She rubbed her wrists and shot Faramir a look of thanks before leaving the throne room. She was about to search for Gandalf, when she heard raised voices from the throne room.