Chapter 25- A Refusal to Sleep

Amara wandered aimlessly around the halls of Minas Tirith. For once the place was silent of all battle sounds. It was almost peaceful. But a shadow had fallen over the white city, as families tried to pick up their lives, leaving behind members who had fallen during the battle.

The adrenaline that had been pumping through Amara's veins for three days without halt had finally settled and the elf dwarf was feeling the effects. Her muscles screamed at her to lay down, rest...sleep. But Amara tried to keep her mind busy.

She visited Merry in the hospital wing, sitting with Pippin who refused to leave his friends side. There she discovered that Eowyn had recovered well and moved into her own quarters.

She sought out Legolas, finding him alone. They exchanged meaningful kisses and parted ways.

It was when she came across Gandalf and Aragorn when her troubles began. The wizard looked her up and down and sighed.

"Go rest Amara. All is well for now. You should sleep." He instructed. Amara shook her head in protest.

"There must be something more for me to do. Anything." She almost begged. Aragorn tilted his head slightly.

"What's wrong, Amara?" He asked.

"Why would anything be wrong?" Amara spat.

"I know you're tired. I can see it in your eyes and the way you carry yourself. So tell me, what is the real reason you will not sleep?" Amara took a step back.

"There is no reason. I am perfectly fine." She said quietly.

"Then go sleep. Or I will lock you in your room." Amara crossed her arms.

"Fine. As you wish." She huffed before marching passed Aragorn and Gandalf.

"Amara." Gandalf called, causing the elf dwarf to turn. "Your chambers are that way." The wizard pointed to the hallway on his left.

"Of course." Amara said, turning to walk down that hallway. However she  walked straight passed her room and kept wandering the halls. She turned down an empty hallway and there, her body gave out and she collapsed against the stone floor.

*****

Night had fallen before anyone had found Amara. Legolas noticed a figure laying in the shadows and turned down the dark hallways.

"Hello? Are you alright?" He called. No answer. His elf eyes pierced the dark shadows and he broke into a run, kneeling down next to Amara.

"Amara? Amara, my love, wake up." He shook her slightly.

Legolas picked her up and ran down the hall. His eyes frantically searched for anyone who could help. He spotted Aragorn and Gandalf just outside Amara's room, worry plastered across their faces.

"Gandalf!" He called. The wizard looked up and his eyes widened.

"Where did you find her?" He asked, both him and Aragorn rushed towards the elf.

"She was collapsed unconscious in the west wing."

"Bring her inside." Legolas nodded and pushed the door open, laying Amara down on the bed.

"I was worried this would happen." The wizard muttered.

"What do you mean?" Legolas asked.

"She hasn't slept in three days. The most rest she's had was on the battlefield of Osgiliath when she was thrown from her horse." Gandalf explained.

"Why hasn't she slept?" Legolas asked, looking between Gandalf and Aragorn.

"I'm not sure." The wizard said but Aragorn cleared his throat.

"I may have an idea." The ranger said.

"Well speak then." Gandalf snapped.

"Before you left to travel here, Amara confided that she had not slept because her mind was plagued with nightmares of what she saw in the Plantir."

"Why didn't she tell me?" Gandalf sighed.

"You know Amara. She rarely reveals anything that is on her mind." Aragorn stated.

Gandalf watched Amara carefully, her eyes moving rapidly underneath her eye lids. Her body twitched and moved slightly.

"I'm going to wake her up." He announced. The wizard placed a hand over her eyes and muttered an old spell. The elf dwarf gasped and her eyes flew open. She looked around at the three surrounding her.

"What's going on?" She asked, sitting up slightly.

"Why did you not tell me of your nightmares?" Gandalf asked. Amara shrunk back slightly, like a child being scolded.

"I'm sorry, Gandalf." She murmured.

"It's alright child." He said gently. "But you should've told me and I could've helped you." He said. Amara swallowed at looked up.

"Then please...make them stop."

Amara slept peacefully that night, a protective spell placed over by the wizard. And Legolas sat in a chair by her side, watching ove her until the morning sun rose. There was a knock on the door at first light and Aragorn walked in. Legolas woke up from his light sleep and looked up at the ranger.

"Did you stay here all night?" Aragorn asked.

"Yes. I wanted to make sure the spell worked."

"Something has changed between the both of you. Ever since the battle." Aragorn commented. Legolas nodded.

"So much has changed." Legolas confirmed.

"Then why are you so sorrowful, Mellonamin." {My friend.} Aragorn asked.

"If I had not turned her away so harshly that night, she would not have held the Plantir at all. I shouldn't have been so harsh." Legolas admitted. Aragorn placed a hand on the elf's shoulder.

"We can not know what consequences  our actions will cause. You do not know if had you done differently, we would not be in this same place. Amara did what she had to do to save Pippin. And who knows how the Plantir could have affected the halfling."

"I shouldn't have let my own hurt get in the way. Because of my foolishness, Sauron could have learned of Frodo. And the mission should have failed."

"But he did not. Pippin and Amara didn't tell Sauron anything. Praise them for their resilience. And praise that Amara finally realized her feelings for you. And be happy in that." Aragorn said. Legolas nodded, his eyes fixed on the sleeping elf dwarf.

"Wake her up. I have called a meeting in the throne room." Aragorn said before leaving.

Legolas stood up and gently shook Amara awake. Her green eyes opened and she smiled at the elf.

"Quel amrun." {Good morning.} She said.

"Sut ume lle kaima, Melamin?" {How did you sleep, my love?} Legolas asked.

"Eithel." {Well.} Amara responded. She sat up and Legolas pulled her close to him, pecking her lips lightly. Amara smiled and placed her hands on either side of the elf's head, bringing his lips back against her own.