Chapter 17- Drunken Love

Theoden offers the goblet in toast to the people of Rohan.

"Tonight we remember those who gave their blood to defend this country." He offers up the goblet.

"Hail the victorious dead."

"Hail!" The people return his toast. Aragorn hesitates before he drinks. Amara drank and set her goblet down. She wandered aimlessly before she caught sight of Gimli waving her over to a table.

"Amara! Come join us! Show this elvish princeling what it means to be a dwarf!" Gimli shouts. Amara laughed and took a seat at the table. Eomer raised a brow at her.

"Come on then!" She said. Eomer hands her a pint of ale.

"No pauses...no spills." Eomer explained.

"And no regurgitation!" Gimli laughed.

"So it's a drinking game." Legolas stated.

"Aye!" A few men shout.

"Last one standing wins hahaha." Gimli announced. He tips his tankard and downs his drink in one go. Amara let out a laugh and does the same, slamming the empty tankard down as another one replaces it.

Legolas cautiously takes a sip from his own cup, before drinking it quickly. Amara finished her third ale as Gimli downed his fifth.

They drank quickly, both Amara and Gimli becoming more and more tipsy with every drink they finished. Gimli babbled incoherently as he chugged his ale. Amara swayed back and forth in her seat, giggling about nothing as Legolas set his drink down.

"I feel something." He said, looking at his fingers. "A slight tingle in my fingers. I think it's affecting me." He looked up concerned as Gimli started laughing.

"Heh heh heh...what did I say? He can't hold his liquor." Gimli slurred with his eyes crossed. He sits still for a moment before he keels backward off his stool. Legolas watched him fall with eyebrows raised. Amara let out a loud snort of laughter, swinging her arm to the side, knocking over the remaining pints. Legolas looked at her, amusement in his eyes.

"Game over." Amara let her own pint fall to the table, shaking her head slightly. Legolas looked at her in concern. Amara smiled and grabbed Legolas' hand, pulling him away from the table as Merry and Pippin began singing on another table.

"Oh you can search far and wide,
You can drink the whole town dry," they sang as they dance on the table kicking their feet against each other. "But you'll never find a beer so brown,
But you'll never find a beer so brown, As the one we drink in our hometown,
As the one we drink in our hometown." they stamp on the table as Amara laughed and clapped along.

"You can drink your fancy ales,
You can drink them by the flagon.
But the only brew for the brave and true-" Pippin stops and looks at Gandalf and hesitates.

"Pippin!" Merry snapped. Pippin turns back to Merry and continues with the song.

"Comes from the Green Dragon!"

Everyone cheered and clapped as Merry and Pippin jumped down. Amara grabbed another tankard and climbed up onto the table despite Legolas frantically trying to stop her.

"Alright, shut it!" Amara shouted. The room silenced and all eyes turned on the drunken elf dwarf. She began stomping her foot as the start of a beat. The men began clapping in time with her foot.

Legolas smiled and began clapping too as Aragorn walked up.

"So how drunk is she?" He asked, crossing his arms.

"Oh she's wasted." Legolas responded as Amara began singing.

"There's an inn. There's an inn, a merry old inn
beneath an old grey hill,
And there they brew a beer so brown
That the Man in the Moon himself came down
One night to drink his fill.

The ostler has a tipsy cat
that plays a five-stringed fiddle;
And up and down he runs his bow,
Now squeaking high, now purring low,
Now sawing in the middle.

So the cat on his fiddle played hey-diddle-diddle,
a jig that would wake the dead:
He squeaked and sawed and quickened the tune,
While the landlord shook the Man in the Moon:
'It's after three!' he said." She sang the song three more times as more people caught on to the song. Soon the hall was full of every voice singing with Amara.

Amara jumped down from the table as people began to dance. She grabbed hold of Legolas and dragged him forward, pulling him into the dance. Amara continued to sing the song and her and Legolas danced around to the beat of the song.

Legolas spun Amara around and she laughed as they went around again and again until Legolas pulled her to a stop. Amara smiled drunkenly and swayed back and forth, grabbing hold of yet another tankard.

"Let's get you some fresh air." Legolas said with a concerned look on his face. Amara nodded and he led her from the hall and into the open night air. The elf dwarf turned to look up at the elf and smiled.

"You are so drunk." She slurred out. Legolas chuckled and helped her sit down.

"You're the one who's drunk." Legolas said. Amara screwed her face up in thought.

"I guess you're right." She snorted and laughed. She laid her head on Legolas' shoulder and sighed. Legolas tensed slightly but put his arm around her shoulders.

"What was Tauriel like?" Amara asked. Legolas looked down at the elf dwarf but She was staring straight ahead.

"Well she...she was my everything. She was captain of the Royal Guard and my dearest friend. I loved her with all my being but my father forbade us from ever being together because she was a lowly Silvan elf."

"Did she love you?"

"She did. We had planned to run away together, but then she died in battle. Right in front of me." Legolas said quietly.

"She saved my life." Amara murmured.

"She did?"

"I was to be executed, remember? But I escaped...with the help of Tauriel."

"I thought you escaped with the dwarves." Legolas said. Amara lifted her head off of his shoulder.

"Thorin never forgave me for what I did. He left me in the dungeons of Mirkwood. But moments later, Tauriel unlocked my door and snuck me out." They were both silent for a moment before Legolas spoke.

"What was Kili like?" He asked. Amara drew her knees up to her chest.

"Perfect. He was too good for me. And I let him down."

"You never let him down."

"Oh but I did. I lied to him from the very beginning."

"But he forgave you."

"Yes. In the end..." She whispered. She stood up, swaying slightly. Legolas jumped up and steadied her.

"Let's get you to bed." He suggested.

"Did you ever imagine that you'd fall in love again? After Tauriel?" She asked.

"Well..no. I didn't..."

"So you never imagined that you'd love me?"

"Not at first no.." Legolas admitted.

"Me neither." Amara murmured. Legolas' eyes widened.

"What?"

Before she could answer, Amara stumbled forward into Legolas' arms and her eyes rolled to the back of her head. Her still half full tankard slipped from her hand and crashed to the ground.

Legolas picked up the unconscious elf dwarf and carried her inside, passed the great hall to an empty room. The elf laid her down in the bed, removed her boots and her armor before tucking the blankets around her and leaving the room.

As he left, he cast one last glance at his love and sighed before heading back to the grand hall.