Chapter 11- Truth Will Out

Aragorn hurried through the halls, checking each room before he finally found who he was looking for.

"We're meeting in the throne room." Aragorn poked his head into Amara's room where Legolas was. The elf remained sitting at Amara's bedside, his eyes fixed on her sleeping form.

"Go on without me." He said quietly. Aragorn stepped further into the room and cocked his head to the side, watching the elf's peculiar actions.

"You care for her." He stated. Legolas remained silent but nodded slightly.

"I wish I could have told her..." He finally murmured. Aragorn swooped down next to Legolas and placed a hand on the elf's shoulder.

"She's not gone from this world yet, my friend. There is still hope. It will take much more than this to silence Amara. She is strong." When Legolas didnt answer, Aragorn stood up and patted his shoulder.

"Will you join us?"

"I don't want her to wake alone." Aragorn nodded.

"Let me know when she does." The ranger left the room as Legolas grasped Amara's hand and bowed his head in silent vigil.

Amara stirred slightly, letting out a small groan of pain. Her eyes fluttered open and she saw Legolas sitting next to her bed.

"You're awake!" He exclaimed, moving to sit next to her on her bed, gripping her hand tightly. "How are you feeling?"

"I've been better." Amara groaned, moving to sit up slightly.

"Amara...I...I..." Legolas fell silent and looked down. Amara cocked her head to one side. She had never seen an elf look so flustered.

"What is it? Is something wrong?"

"No. No, nothing's wrong. I just need to tell you something."

"Go on then." Amara said simply.

"I...I lost someone...at the battle of Five Armies."

"Tauriel." Amara nodded. Legolas swallowed.

"Yes. She was killed and for a long time, I was in a dark place. I thought that I'd never feel that way again...but I was wrong. I found someone who I could love." Legolas looked up at Amara, "I found you." Amara's eyes widened and she remained frozen in place as Legolas cupped her cheek with his hand and leant forward.

His breath tickled her lips and just before they met, Amara placed a hand on his chest and pushed him back slightly.

"I do not love you, Legolas. I cannot love you for my heart remains in the past. With Kili." Legolas nodded.

"Of course. I am sorry." Amara pulled her hands away and folded them.

"I think you should go." She murmured. Legolas nodded again stood up, leaving the room. Before he disappeared down the hall, he turned back around.

"I hope you feel better, Amara." He said quietly.

--

"Amara! Amara!" A voice echoed around the elf-dwarf as she spun around in a circle, scanning the forest around her.

"Who's there?" She called.

"Amara!" She turned to see Kili just inches away from her. She recoiled at his sudden appearance.

"Kili?"

"Why did you ignore me?" He asked.

"What? What do you mean?"

"You haven't moved on. Amara, look at where it's brought you." Amara took a step away from Kili.

"Why are you so intent on pushing me away?"

"Because I can't give you what you want, Amara. Only the Elf, Legolas can." Amara took Kili's hand and placed it on her heart.

"I belong to you, Kili. I cannot love another." The dwarf sighed and pushed his hand against Amara's chest. She cried out in pain, as her heart seemed to twist and crack. Kili pushed harder and harder.

"I can only bring you pain, Amara. Legolas...Legolas with bring you healing." Kili pulled his hand away and Amara collapsed, struggling to breath. Kili knelt down and placed a kiss on her forehead.

"Remember me fondly, Amara." He whispered.

--

Amara woke up with a start, sitting up in her bed. The room was empty as she looked around, catching her breath. There was a knock on the door.

"May I come in?" The elf dwarf turned to see Aragorn standing in the doorway. She nodded and the Ranger walked in.

"Legolas told me you were awake, how are you feeling?"

"Better." Amara answered shortly. Aragorn smiled slightly.

"Feel up for a walk? You've been in here for a while, some fresh air would do you some good." Amara nodded and Aragorn reached to help her up.

With the proper rest and medicine, Amara was able to walk on her own, with Aragorn close by. As they walked out into the open, Amara was met with all of Edoras in a frenzy.

"What's going on?"

"Theoden has ordered everyone to make for Helm's Deep. Gandalf has gone to seek help." Aragorn explained.

"Helm's Deep? Why don't they stay and fight?" Amara asked.

"Theoden thinks he's doing right by his people." Aragorn said quietly.

"And you don't. He should listen to you."

"He's a king. I am not." Aragorn murmured.

"No but you are. You are more of a king than anyone else."

"It was my kin who brought us here."

"Aragorn, you have proven yourself to be differnet than Isildur. He brought us into ruin. And you will bring us out, into an new age."

"I know not what strength I have, Amara." Aragorn whispered. Silence fell between the two as they walked, soon coming to the edge of Edoras.

"Did you speak with Legolas?" Aragorn asked.

"Yes." Amara answered.

"He does care for you."

"He does." Amara confirmed shortly.

"But you do not." Amara sighed.

"I have told him and I will tell you, I cannot love any other but Kili."

"But you may never be with him." Aragorn said quietly.

"And you? You let Arwen sacrifice her immortality to be with you. Why can I not do the same?"

"There's a difference between sharing one lifetime together and greeting death in order to be together. You are part elf. When Kili died, your heart should have broken and you would have died to. But you didn't Amara. Don't you think that means something?"

"It means that you've forgotten one thing. I may be part elf. But I'm also part dwarf. My heart may be broken, but I can't die from it." Aragorn grabbed her shoulders.

"Or this is a second chance. Amara, if you believe in anything, believe that you can move on from this pain."

"I can't Aragorn. This is my fate. To suffer with a broken heart. Until I finally leave this world."