Chapter 19- The Palantir

Amara remained in her room for the remainder of the day, choosing that once the sun dipped below the horizon that she would wipe her tears and venture outside. That was her first mistake.

Legolas stood with his back to Amara, his hood up with his cloak flowing in the sight breeze. The elf dwarf took a step back but Legolas' ears pricked up and he turned.

They stood frozen, staring at one another in silence until Legolas finally spoke.

"Yes?" He asked, his voice holding some edge to it. Amara opened her mouth but no sound came out. Legolas raised his brow.

"I wanted to speak with you." She finally said.

"I have nothing to say to you." He said, turning back to survey the horizon.

"Then listen to what I have to say." When Legolas didn't reply, Amara continued. "I'm sorry for causing you such pain. I was blinded by my own mind and I couldn't see that I was hurting you. Please forgive me, Legolas. We're friends."

"We are allies in battle, nothing more." He responded. Amara felt tears well up in her eyes and she hurried inside before Legolas could notice. In her distress, she ran straight into Aragorn. He stilled her by placing his hands on her shoulders.

"What's wrong?" He asked, his brow drawn up in concern.

"Nothing." She murmured, ripping herself out of his grasp and hurrying passed him.

Aragorn watched as she disappeared down the hall. Then he turned and walked outside to meet Legolas.

"What's wrong with Amara?" He asked. Legolas shrugged, an unusual gesture for an elf.

"She seemed distressed.." Aragorn pressed.

"The stars are veiled. Something stirs in the East, a sleepless malice." Legolas said, changing the subject quickly. He cast a glance at Aragorn. "The eye of the enemy is moving."

Pippin stirs, gets up and throws back his blanket. He pauses checking everyone is asleep. He walks up the center of the room. Merry lifts his head.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

Pippin whirls around guiltily. He looks at Merry then continues with what he was doing. He approaches Gandalf. Pippin jumps as he sees the wizards eyes open.

"Pippin!" Merry whispered.

Pippin waves his hand in front of Gandalf's eyes. They don't move and Gandalf doesn't stir. Pippin looks at the bundle in Gandalf's arms.

"Pippin!" Merrycalls

Pippin ignores him and picks up a jug. Gandalf mutters something in his sleep making Pippin recoil in fear. But he gains more courage and grabs the bundle from Gandalf's arm, replacing it with the jug.

Amara wandered aimlessly through the quiet, empty halls, when two voices reached her ears.

"Pippin! Are you mad?" Merry said. Amara stopped in her tracks and listened to the two hobbits.

"I just want to look at it, just one more time." Pippin murmured.

"Put it back!" Merry demanded. Amara tilted her head, trying to figure out what they were talking about.

"Pippin!" Merry snapped.

"No!" Amara's eyes widened. The Palantir. Gandalf had warned her of its power. She took off down the hall, bursting into the room as Pippin screams and stands up with the Palantir stuck in his hands. His mouth is open in a soundless scream

"Pippin!" Amara shouted. She grabbed hold of the hobbit's shoulders, "Pippin, let go!"

Pippin continues to struggle and shaking, his body twisting violently. Amara looked at the Palantir then back at the hobbit. In a split second decision, the elf-dwarf grabbed hold of the Palantir and tried to yank it away from Pippin. Pain shot through her as she closed her eyes, her mind filled with horrid images.