Chapter 13- A Ranger Returns

Amara walked into the Hall, catching the attention of King Theoden and a few of his soldiers.

"Amara, what brings you here?" He asked.

"We need to prepare for battle." She demanded. Theoden gave her curious look.

"On what grounds?"

"On the grounds that we were attacked by a pack of warg riders. Saruman will not stop at a mere ambush. He knows where we are and he will not stop until he has destroyed Helm's Deep."

"These walls are impenetrable."

"Then they will starve us out. No matter what, we will die. Unless we fight." Theoden nodded and turned to his knights.

"Get every able soldier ready for battle." Theoden commanded. His men nodded and left the Hall. The king motioned Amara forward. Together they looked over the nap of Helm's Deep and set up where the men would be stationed.

By the end of the day, they had established patrols along the wall and prepared a barricade for the door. Amara retired to her makeshift bed close to Gimli and Legolas.

"You've taken charge, I see." Legolas said with a smile.

"Someone has to." Amara said simply.

"Aragorn would have wanted no one other than you to lead on in his steps." Silence fell between the two, interuppted only by the constant snores of Gimli.

"Do all dwarves snore like that?" Legolas finally asked as Gimli inhaled gnats that flew above him before blowing them out. Amara chuckled.

"Most definitely. My mother snored like a pig." Legolas laughed slightly.

"How of earth did you deal with a whole company of them?" Legolas asked.

"With great difficulty." Amara said with a laugh. Legolas joined in, a smile on his face.

"I'm sorry, Legolas. For letting your confession get in the way of our friendship." Amara suddenly murmured. Legolas' smile died away and he looked ahead.

"It's alright. That's all in the past now. I've moved on, there are more important things at hand." He said. Amara felt a twinge of pain in her heart but she brushed it away.

"Moved on already? Another maiden caught your eye?" Amara joked, trying to lighten the mood by Legolas frowned.

"No." He murmured, "No one."

--

The next morning, Amara rose early and met with the king as they discussed their next move.

"All we can do it continue to keep watch. Send out scouts towards Isengard and establish a number. We can't prepare properly unless we know how many orcs we're fighting." Amara said.

"I'll ready three men to go out at noon." Theoden said with a nod.

Suddenly the doors swung open and Amara turned to see a man that she thought was lost forever.

"Aragorn." The name fell from her lips and she ran forward, wrapping her arms around the ranger. He smiled and hugged her back.

"I see Legolas was right. You have taken up leadership." He said with a laugh. Amara smiled and pulled away.

"I was only doing what you would have done." They both walked towards the king, who still looked at Aragorn with disbelief.

"A great host of Orcs march this way as we speak." Aragorn announced.

"A great host, you say?"

"All lsengard is emptied."

"How many?"

"Ten thousand strong at least."

"Ten thousand?" Theoden said in shock.

"We do not have the numbers to face them." Amara murmured.

"It is an army bred for a single purpose: To destroy the world of Men. They will be here by nightfall."

"Let them come!" Theoden snapped.

Outside Theoden walks with Amara, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli to the gate.

"I want every man and strong lad able to bear arms To be ready for battle by nightfall." Theoden ordered a soldier. He nodded and hurried off. The others make their way to the ramp outside the gate.

"We will cover the causeway and the gate from above. No army has ever breached the Deeping Wall or set foot inside the Hornburg!" Theoden said proudly.

"This is no rabble of mindless Orcs. These are Uruk-hai. Their armour is thick and their shields broad." Gimli grumbled.

"I have fought many wars, Master Dwarf. I know how to defend my own keep."
Gimli looks disgruntled and as they walk past him, Aragorn puts a hand on his shoulder.

"He's right, my Lord. These Uruks make for a hard battle fought. And even harder won." Amara said.

"They will break upon this fortress like water on rock. Saruman's hordes will pillage and burn. We've seen it before. Crops can be resown......homes rebuilt. Within these walls......we will outlast them."

"They do not come to destroy Rohan's crops or villages. They come to destroy its people...down to the last child." Aragorn pressed.

"What would you have me do? Look at my men. Their courage hangs by a thread. If this is to be our end, then I would have them make such an end...as to be worthy of remembrance."

"Send out riders, my lord. You must call for aid." Aragorn said.

"And who will come? Elves? Dwarves? We are not so lucky in our friends as you. The old alliances are dead." Theoden spat.

"Gondor will answer." Aragorn said quietly. Theoden's face contorted in anger.

"Gondor?! Where was Gondor when the Westfold fell?! Where was Gondor when our enemies closed in around us?! Where was Gon--?" The kings stopped himself and took a breath. "No, my Lord Aragorn...we are alone....Get the women and children into the caves." He commanded his soldiers.

"We need more time to lay provisions--" One protested.

"There is no time. War is upon us. Secure the gate."