Chapter 20- The Ride to Minas Tirith

Amara held tightly to the reigns, urging her horse to keep in pace with Shadowfax. Pippin's head bobbed up and down as he had dosed off moments ago. The sun hung high at its peak, beating down on the three.

They rode none stop until the sky was painted in purples reds and blues as the sun dipped below the horizon. Gandalf cast a glance at Amara.

"Do you need to stop and rest?" He called. Pippin, who was now awake looked up at Amara. The elf dwarf shook her head, fighting off fatigue.

"No we can keep going." She said. Gandalf looked at her closer.

"You need to rest." He insisted, pulling Shadowfax to a stop. Amara slowed her own horse to a stop. Pippin slid down. Amara dismounted along with Gandalf.

"Go to sleep, Amara. I'll get the rest of camp set up." Gandalf ordered. Amara nodded reluctantly and set up her makeshift bed. She laid with her eyes wide open until the voices of Gandalf and Pippin quieted down and the sky was black.

She rolled onto her back and stared up at the stars. Her visions she saw in the Palantir flashed through her mind. She couldn't sleep. She didn't want to sleep.

So she stared up at the stars until the sun rose and they rode off again.

The second night, they didn't stop. Gandalf wanted to make it to Minas Tirith before the third night, so they rode as fast as they could underbthe cover of night and continued without rest through through the third day.

The horses splashed through a river and Gandalf turned to Amara and Pippin.

"We have just passed into the realm of Gondor." They gallop up a hill and look down at a great white city.

"Minas Tirith. City of Kings." They gallop through the city until they reach the topmost level. They stop in front of a huge white hall.
Amara dismounted with Pippin following her closy. They walk with Gandalf towards the doors, passing a dead white tree. Pippin spots it.

"It's the tree! Gandalf, Gandalf."

"Yes the white tree of Gondor. The tree of the King. Lord Denethor however, is not the King. He is a steward only, a caretaker of the throne." He stops and turns to Pippin at the door.

"Now listen carefully. Lord Denethor is Boromir's father. To give him news of his beloved son's death would be most unwise. And do not mention Frodo or the Ring. And say nothing of Aragorn either. In fact, its better if you don't speak at all Peregrin Took." Gandalf instructed.

They walk through the massive hall approaching the throne where a man sits in a seat at the base of the steps to the throne.

"Hail Denethor son of Ecthelion, Lord and Steward of Gondor." Gandalf declared. Amara looks closely at Denethor, who was bent over a broken horn.

"I come with tidings in this dark hour and with counsel."

"Perhaps you come to explain this." He shows the horn to them. "Perhaps you have come to tell me why my son is dead."

Amara looks down, images of Boromir's death flashing through her mind.

"Boromir died to save us my kinsman and me. He fell defending us from many foes." Pippin said, approaching the throne. Amara tried to grab hold of his shoulder to stop him, but he knelt down.

"Pippin." Gandalf warned.

"I offer you my service, such as it is in payment of this debt."

"This is my first command to you. How did you escape and my son did not? So mighty as man as he was." Denethor asked.

"The mightiest man may be slain by one arrow and Boromir was pierced by many." Pippin said.

Gandalf walks forward hitting Pippin with his staff to move him out of the way.

"Get up!" He snapped before looking at the steward.

"My lord, there will be a time to grieve for Boromir but it is not now. War is coming. The enemy is on your doorstep. As steward, you are charged with the defence of this city. Where are Gondor's armies? You still have friends. You are not alone in this fight. Send word to Theoden of Rohan. Light the beacons."

"You think you are wise Mithrandir. Yet for all your subtleties you have not wisdom. Do you think the eyes of the White Tower are blind? I have seen more than you know. With your left hand you would use me as a shield against Mordor and with your right you would seek to supplant me. I know who rides with Theoden of Rohan. Oh yes, word has reached my ears of this Aragorn, son of Arathorn. And I tell you now. I will not bow to this Ranger from the North. Last of a ragged house long bereft of Lordship."
"Authority is not given to you to deny the return of the King, steward." Gandalf boomed.

Denethor jumped up, angry.

"The rule of Gondor is mine and no others!" He shouted. Amara stepped forward and placed her hand on Denethor's chest, pushing him back down in his seat.

"You would do wise to remember your place, steward." She spat. Gandalf grabbed hold of her arm and dragged her back.

"Come!" He ordered. Denethor stood back up.

"I want her arrested! Guards!" He shouted. Two knights came in and pulled Amara away from Gandalf.

"Let me go!" Amara shouted.

"Denethor, see reason. I'll keep an eye on her. You never have to see her again."

"Take her down to the dungeons." He demanded. The knights dragged Amara from the throne room with her spitting out insults and curses.