Chapter 10- Releasing Theoden

The five reunited members of the Fellowship ride across the plains of Rohan, catching sight of Edoras before them.

"Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld. There dwells Theoden, King of Rohan...... whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Theoden is now very strong." Gandalf said. The three horses came to a stop at the entrance.

"Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here." Gandalf and the others ride into Edoras, as Aragorn reaches the outside gates, the flag of Rohan flutters to the ground next to him.

As they ride through Edoras, people stare at them. Aragorn looks up to see a maiden dressed in white standing in front of the Golden Hall.

"You'll find more cheer in a graveyard." Gimli murmured. Aragorn looks back at the Golden Hall but the maiden has gone. They all dismount, Aragorn and Legolas once again supporting Amara. They walk up the steps. Guards walk out of the Hall.

"I cannot allow you before Theoden King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame. By order of Grima Wormtongue."

Gandalf nods at the others. The others hand over their weapons.

"Your staff." The head guard said.

"Hmmm? You would not part an old man from his walking stick."

The guard looks worried for a moment before turning and leading them into the Hall. Gandalf winks slyly to Legolas and Amara and follows him, holding onto Aragorn's arm. Amara, Legolas, and Gimli follow.

The guard pauses at the door and lets them pass. A pale man, Grima, sat at beside Theoden, his hair slick and greasy. King Theoden was slumped in his chair, his eyes clouded and his face seeming to have age many years.

"My lord, Gandalf the Grey is coming. He's a herald of woe." Grima whispered into the King's ear.

"The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late......Theoden King." Gandalf observed. As they walk forward a group of guards follow them closely. Amara tightens her hold on Legolas as she looks around the silent room.

"He's not welcome." Grima whispered.

"Why should I welcome you......Gandalf Stormcrow?" He looks to Grima for agreement, who nods.

"A just question, my liege." He gets up and walks towards Gandalf. "Late is the hour......in which this conjurer chooses to appear." The guards begin to move in. "Lathspell I name him. Ill news is an ill guest."

"Be silent. Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death......to bandy crooked words with a witless worm." Gandalf spits, lifting his staff in front of Grima's face.

"His staff. I told you to take the wizard's staff." Grima shouts.
The guards move to attack Gandalf. Aragorn and Gimli fight them off. Legolas moves Amara out of harms way and joins the fight. Gandalf continues to walk towards Theoden.

"Theoden......son of Thengel......too long have you sat in the Shadows."
Grima sits up in an attempt to get away, but is stopped by Gimli standing on his chest with one foot.

"I would stay still if I were you." The dwarf growled. A guard came at Amara and she dodged his blow, ducking down and swinging her foot underneath him. He tripped and fell to the ground.

"Hearken to me! I release you......from the spell." Gandalf holds up his hand, closing his eyes. Theoden begins to laugh. Gandalf opens his eyes

"You have no power here ......Gandalf the Grey." Theoden mocked.
Gandalf, angered, throws off his grey cloak. Theoden is thrown back by a bright white light.

"I will draw you, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound." He thrusts forward his staff, which throws Theoden back in his chair.

The maiden in white runs in, seeing the king in trouble, and runs towards him. Aragorn grabs hold of her.

"Wait." He murmured.

"If I go, Theoden dies." A new voice, Saruman's voice, speaks through Theoden.

"You did not kill me......you will not kill him." Gandalf said.

"Rohan is mine." Saruman's voice spat.

"Be gone."

Suddenly Theoden jumps from his throne, lunging at Gandalf. Gandalf thrusts him back with his staff.

Theoden slumps forward and the maiden rushes to stop him falling.

Theoden's face slowly changes. His hair and beard shorten, and his face becomes younger. His eyes clear.
He looks at the maiden quizzically

"I know your face." He murmured. "Eowyn. Eowyn." She cries with happiness and he looks round at everyone, and sees Gandalf in front of him.

"Gandalf?"

"Breathe the free air again, my friend."

Theoden stands up shakily

"Dark have been my dreams of late." He lifts his hands and strokes them.

"Your fingers would remember their old strength better......if they grasped your sword." Gandalf suggested.

A guard steps forward and offers him his sword. He takes it and lifts it up in front of him. He looks at it wonderingly as everyone smiles.

Then he seems to remember something, and turns his gaze to Grima who is being held on the floor by Gimli.

Grima is thrown out of the Hall, and falls down the stairs. Theoden walks falteringly down the stairs after him

"I've only......ever served you, my lord." Grima reasoned, crawling backwards on his hands.

"Your leechcraft would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast!" Theoden spat.

"Send me not from your sight." Theoden raises his sword above Grima's head, as if to kill him. Aragorn rushes forward and holds his hands to stop him.

"No, my lord! No, my lord. Let him go. Enough blood has been spilt on his account." The ranger said.

Aragorn offers Grima a hand, but he just spits on it and scrambles to his feet, pushing past the people

"Get out of my way!"

"Hail, Theoden King!" The guard announced.

The people in the city kneel before Theoden. Those from the Great Hall do the same as Aragorn's kneels at Theoden's side. Grima rides out of Edoras.

Theoden turns back to the Golden Hall and looks at everyone.

"Where is Theodred? Where is my son?"

"My lord...he is dead." Eowyn said sorrowfully. Theoden stumbled slightly.

"Take me to him."

The company begins to go inside, Theoden and Eowyn leading the way. Gandalf and Aragorn followed quickly with the guards. Legolas placed a hand on Amara's back and helped her back inside.

"We'll get the help you need soon enough." He murmured. Amara nodded, suddenly overcome with lightheadedness.

She swayed and fell backwards. Arms caught her, but she was gone before she could make out the blurry figure that held her in their arms.

"King Theoden, please help her." Legolas interuppted, stepping forward with Amara in his arms.

"Eowyn, take them to the physician." Theoden ordered. The blonde nodded and hurried from the room, Legolas following closely.