Chapter:3

I pulled up to my parents place seeing lights on in the house. A sports car was pulling in right behind me. My lights were all out and it was locked. The door handle was tried before the combination. I had changed it in January to a different one. He gave up before going inside. I fell asleep below the steering wheel and away from his clutches. A tap on my window woke me up. I saw my dad at the door. I pulled myself up and got the door open.

"Sleep in the truck?" He asked. "Yeah." I said. "Your cousin take over?" He asked. "Yup." I didn't tell him about me wanting to travel with my two horses to ease my unsteadiness with my boyfriend. I got out and took my bags inside before going out to the barn to groom my boys. I finished and decided to go back inside. I found all of my rodeo shirts and gathered them all together.

A sports car pulled up. I closed my bedroom door and locked it before I got the ironing board down and ironed my jeans out not starching them. When I was done I put shorts and ripped jeans in a suitcase along with sweatpants, and regular tee shirts. I then packed socks and tank tops. Banging came to my door. I ignored it trying to finish. I shoved the packed suitcase under my bed and hid my button downs.

My door almost broke off the hinges as I unplugged the iron and put the board up. "Where in the he** were you?" He yelled. I hit the bed and continued backwards. I almost fell off backwards as he attacked me. He cursed at me and called me things that shouldn't bother me now. "Are you f***ing listening to me?" I nodded tears welling up. "Dry those f***ing tears." I couldn't. He shoved some stuff off my dresser by the door before leaving.

I waited for the door downstairs to slam before getting up and going over to the things. Picked a glass figurine up seeing it wasn't broken. I moved everything glass to the side farthest away from the door before actually letting tears flow. My phone buzzed. I looked at it. Last year at finals the guys had given me their numbers and swapped for mine. The text was from R.J. asking if I was going to be at the next event. I texted back saying my cousin was taking place of my uncle.

He sent an ok before asking what I was going to do. I didn't respond. It was a question I was asking myself already. I knew my parents are going to let me rodeo. That they trust me out there with two horses, a truck, and a trailer. I told him I didn't know what I was going to do. He then tried calling. I ignored it as I saw it was starting to snow. "Dad." I yelled as I went downstairs. "Is there a blizzard on the way?" I asked.

"Yeah. Going somewhere?" He asked. "Southern part of the country with my two horses, truck and trailer." I told him. "Better leave now. It's blowing in from the north." He said. "I'll go hook it up and get the horses loaded." He grabbed my keys and raced out while I went up and grabbed my clothed before hauling it down and putting my coat and gloves on. I took it out and threw it into the backseat before going back for my hang up clothes.

I threw them in as dad locked the trailer. "Your set. Once you get to Kansas stop for feed or at your grandparents place." He said. I nodded. "That's where I'm heading first." I told him. "Good luck in Houston." He said before letting me go. I got in and started south. By the time I reached the state line I regained phone service and was getting voicemails from all of the guys. I listened to them all hearing what they had to say.

It took until the Kansas state line before I had finished. I didn't know where the next one was. I got to the Oklahoma border in no time. I then went to the quiet and low populated town my dad grew up in. I found my grandparents place and pulled into the drive. Very late January was the time to come and see them. It was after dark nearly nine at night.

I opened the door as my grandparents came out. They greeted me before I went to unload the horses. Dad had their blankets on them with their shipping gear. I took them out to the barn and took the wraps off before taking the blankets off and brushing them down. I led them to two stalls side by side and put them in with fresh water and hay. They both comfortably settled in before I went up to the house.

I sat talking with them until three in the morning talking about how the family was and certain other topics unrelated to my boyfriend.