Chapter:20

Twenty six weeks

RJ let me go shopping for the little boy I'm carrying. I browsed through the newborn baby boy clothes for long sleeved footie onesies. Even though it's July and I'm six months along I'm still riding. It's not uncomfortable yet, and both of my horses understand that I'm trying to be as careful as possible. I could go into labor early and possibly cause harm to our son. As I found a few blankets a hand clasped over my mouth. A familiar scent filled my lungs.

No. Not now. Please no. "I warned them I'd be back for you." I couldn't breathe. "Looks like you got knocked up. Was it that cowboy you were f***ing?" He asked. I had the wedding ring hidden from his sight. "Looks like we need to take a trip to the hospital for a c-section." He said. Oh. People will notice me there. It's the middle of Calgary and I bet some will notice me that got hurt last night. I had to let him drag me out. Last thing I can do is set off the alarm on my key chain.

Instead I sent RJ an sos. He'd think I'm in labor and go to the hospital with the injured riders. That's the closest one. Once there he forced me inside. I saw one immediately. I gave a pleading look to anyone that looked my way. He went right up to the desk and told the nurse that I was here for a c-section. I could tell she could see the pleading look on my face. Before the nurse could ask me any questions he pulled a gun out. That's when the competitor pulled one out holding it directly at him.

Security guards blocked the exits. "Sir drop the gun." One of the guards said. "No. You better get her into a c-section before anyone gets hurt." He yelled. I tried to stay calm. Out of a mirror I could see RJ looking in. This wasn't what I planned. A nurse took me back. He tried to follow, the security guards stopped him. He threatened to kill anyone that tried to stop him. The nurse asked the necessary questions. "Twenty six weeks." I answered for how far long I am.

"Are you in labor?" She asked. "No." I answered. "Is that your husband?" She asked. "That's not my husband. He's outside. I sent him a text knowing he'd think I'd be in labor early and go to the hospital." I said. "Let's go the back way to the front doors. Tell him to meet us there." She said. I nodded. Then texted him where to meet us. He was relieved that I was ok. "We're going to have to do an ultrasound to make sure the baby is fine after that." The nurse said.

I knew my heart rate would have to be checked too. I had both arms around RJ while he had the one around my waist with his hand splayed on my belly as we followed the nurse. "I should have had someone keeping tabs on that man. This never should have happened." He said. "I should have let you go with me to get baby clothes." I said. "I let you go baby. I'm relieved that your still alive and here with me." He said as we got to the ultrasound room.

I sat down on the table as she checked my heart rate before having me lay down so the baby could be checked. Hearing the heartbeat made me feel better. It sounded like it did two weeks ago. "Baby looks to be ok. I'd go home, relax, and get some rest after that. If the police were to ask for your location in the next twenty four hours where could they find you?" She asked. "The Calgary Stampede. We're competing in it." RJ said. "Any specifics?" She asked.

"They would have to ask the officials there." RJ told her. She nodded before letting me get the goo off. I stood up and fixed my clothes before RJ led me out. "May I at least get your names? For them." She asked. "RJ Mauney." He told her before we went out. "Is the truck still at Walmart?" He asked. I nodded. He kissed my forehead just before getting a cab. He told the man where to go before sitting back with me curled up to his side.

Once there he let me lead the way to the truck. He drove back with my hand in his. He raised it to his lips before kissing my knuckles. Close call for our little boy's life.