Chapter:21

I sat watching RJ from the sidelines. My eight and a half month belly protruding extensively. He hit the buzzer jumping from the bull and getting out of the way. He got out coming around to me. Springhill was the last stop before one rodeo in October. I sat out the last two just to rest up for the one in October. I may deliver this little boy before that rodeo. If I do, I'll have who knows how long to recover. Only two more weeks to go.

I could tell he already dropped because of my constant need to go to the bathroom. He's sitting right on top of my bladder. RJ put his arm around my waist letting his hand splay out on my belly. Even though this is a three day rodeo, this is the last night. "Maybe a second place check." He said. I nodded. I don't know why I felt so peaceful next to him. As soon as the last one went they tallied his score and called out who won what.

RJ got first place and a larger check than we both thought. "Think we should hit the road?" He asked. "I'd say sleep." I said. "I'll bed the horses then." He said before kissing me. I went to the trailer and got a shower before laying on my left side. I stretched out before grabbing the pillow in the floor. Can't sleep without a pillow between my legs because of him dropping. The door opened then closed. "You already in bed?" RJ asked.

"Yeah." I mumbled. "I'll be there in a second." He said. I could hear the shower run for a little bit. Once it went off I felt a kick. Great. Every night he kicks when he knows RJ is about to get into bed. RJ crawled onto the bed behind me. "Feel him." I said. He was kicking hard and with both feet. "Geez. Is this every night?" He asked. "Yeah. And it hurts." I chuckled. "Roll onto your right side." He said. I did facing him. I could tell his shirt rode up on my belly. He moved it to right below my breasts.

His abdomen was right against my belly. "Still as bad?" He asked. I could tell he was feeling the kicks. My skin wasn't expanding as much. I shook my head. "I think something is over due though." I said. "Could you go into labor?" He asked. "Only if my water breaks." I said. He kissed me. "Which position?" He asked. "The one where he's not pressing on my spine." I said. "Stay put then." He said getting up.

I couldn't see what he was doing until I felt his hands. I got up on my knees with his help. He then kissed my neck taking my underwear off. One hand cradled my belly while the other messed with my pubic hair. I separated my legs farther. I felt my pelvis pop. "Sounds like he moved farther down." He said. "He did." I said. "Bend over slowly." He said. I put my hands on the bed bending. "Think you can get onto your elbows?" He asked.

I carefully got onto my elbows. His hands were on my belly the whole time. I felt a finger entered before come out. "Think he dropped just right." He said before running his palm along my back. I arched my back just as he went in. I could tell he wasn't completely in because of where our son was sitting. "That does not feel right." He said as he felt around my belly. He helped me sit up with him still inside. I felt exactly what he meant.

Our son had dropped even farther. "Think this is the last time until after he's born for this." He said. "Could I agree?" I asked him. "You know you can baby." He said gently pulling out. He helped me lay back down on my side. "I think he's coming without any contractions." I said. "Did you take any ibuprofen?" He asked. "No. Not since the doctor told me not to take any more." I told him. "Think we should get to the hospital." He said helping me back into my underwear and some sweats of his.

As soon as we were out of the trailer I felt something go down my leg. "I don't think we're going to make it to the hospital." I told him. "Think you can hold on? I'll carry you in if I have to." He said. "I'll try." I said. He picked me up carrying me to the truck. He set me in the front seat leaning it back. I took a deep breath feeling his head drop even more. "This isn't working." I told him when he got in. "Then you've been in labor longer than we both thought." He said.

By the time we got to the hospital I could feel the skin on his head. I tried to keep him there. RJ carried me in and sat me in a wheelchair that the nurse had brought. "How close?" She asked. "Head's crowning." I said. "How far apart are your contractions?" She asked. "I don't know. I can't feel any." I said. "Certain women can't feel contractions. Is this your first or second?" She asked. "First." I said. She wheeled me into a room.

I was told to change into a gown. As soon as I was and sitting on the bed in a comfortable position she had me lay back to check. "Yup. Baby is crowning." I looked over at RJ. "I'll be right back." She said before leaving. He sighed. "Didn't think it would have been that quick?" I asked. He scoffed. "Not really. I feel like I caused you to go into labor." He said scratching the back of his neck. "Come here." I told him. He came over and crouched down next to the bed.

"I was probably in labor during your ride and didn't know it. I was most likely in labor at the beginning of the night. You didn't cause it. We probably would have woken up to a crowned baby and him not breathing if we decided not to do that." I said. He kissed me. "How are you calm in all of this?" He asked. "Someone had to be. I know you're scare to death." I said. "That definitely is true." He said as I felt my stomach contract.

"I think that was a contraction." I said. He went to check. "Closer. Head looks small." He said. "Did you think it'll be huge?" I asked as another contraction went. "I can tell he's coming quicker than that nurse probably thought." He said. "Yeah. Every contraction and breath he gets closer doesn't he?" I asked. "Yup." He said as I knew he was getting closer. "I can almost see his eyes." He said. I shifted my legs, my pelvis popped again as if spreading.

"Just keep breathing baby." He said. I nodded. As I felt another contraction contracting my own muscles. "His head is out." He said. "Oh perfect. The shoulders are next then it's all down hill." I said. The nurse came back in. Her eyes got wide at the sight. RJ was back up by my head. "There's no doctors free at the moment, but there is one coming in, in a few minutes." She said. Crying broke the silence. One more contraction and he was more out than before.

RJ was down there. The crying was quieter. The more I just sat here breathing and letting the contractions do some of the work the closer I was to being done delivering the baby. The nurse walked out again. I had to push again. "His shoulders are almost out." RJ said. I could tell he was ready to catch him if he had to. I was just past the shoulders when the nurse trailed by a doctor came in. RJ I could tell had a hold of his head at least.

The doctor could only walk us through it now since we were this far. I gave another push letting his torso slide out. "Think there's one more push." RJ said. "I know there is." I said. I did this push myself letting him slide out. I watched as RJ let the nurse take our baby to be cleaned. "It's our son." He said quietly.