Chapter 3 - Laurene's POV

I decided that I would take my baby pink Range rover to the meeting, because it just so cute and girly! It is also one of my favourite cars. Landon (my chauffeur) drives me to the restaurant with my music blaring out, trying to calm my disconcerted nerves. I was listening to Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber, because why not? All of their old songs came on as well, which caused major throwbacks! Landon actually has two daughters, so it was not a surprise when he started singing along with me.

Of course, the best moment was when Justin Bieber's 'Baby' came on. I have actually met Justin twice, and he is pretty cool. I am also good friends with Zara Larson and Ed Sheeran in the music industry – they are all so talented! I am actually a dancer myself, and I just love it when the music pumps through my blood like nicotine, and my body sways in time to the beat, almost as if I have been possessed by the tinkling tune. It is so exhilarating!

Soon enough I had arrived at the restaurant, and I have to say that I was not feeling as panicky as I had previously expected. Landon pulls up outside and soon an employee comes to greet me, and escorts me into the restaurant. There is a plush scarlet-coloured carpet leading the way inside, which reminds me of a red carpet at the Oscars, and gold railings stand faithfully next to the carpet, adding a classy and delicate touch. The doors are pinned open, allowing a delectable aroma to swim out of the restaurant and grab me by my nose, encouraging me to float into the restaurant on a food high. As I am just about to enter, my phone starts buzzing. Unfortunately, it is my dad.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Laurene, where are you? We are waiting! I hope that you are on your way, because I do not need to remind you of what will happen if you do not show up and embarrass me!" My dad threatens me.

"I am right outside; I will literally be there in two minutes. Also, I know dad, you do not have to keep going on about it! If I make one wrong move or do not please Ellison and his dad, you will disown me and give the company to Lucas, destroying my whole life's existence. Are you happy now?" I snap back.

"I do not appreciate your tone young lady. I shall not disown you; your inheritance shall simply go to Lucas that is all."

He says it like it is no big deal. My whole life he has been training me to take over his precious little company, but now I have to marry some random idiot just because he does not believe in me. Talk about a kick to the gut. If I contemplate too much on his actions, then I know that I will feel as though I am drowning in worthlessness and self doubt, so I try to let his insults roll over me, as though I am unaffected. Although, it would be a lie if I don't admit that I have had many dark nights, where my tough and unaffected mask erodes, and I find myself crying a river of anxiety, doubt and worries.

"Ok whatever dad I shall see you in a minute." Without waiting for a reply, I end the call and enter into the restaurant with the employee.

The restaurant is full, and as I pass through I turn my steadfast attention to observing the busy tables. An old couple is eating side by side, one glass of wine each, whilst being studiously bent over their meals. A group of young women in their thirties collapsing with helpless giggles sit in the corner, as a stern woman dining alone nearby looks on with an irritated frown. A group of businesspersons in their grey suits lighting up cigars sit out on the terrace through the ornamented patio doors. Chinese tourists, trying to decipher the menu exchange conversation in their native language, much to the amusement of two young children nearby, looking at them as if they are the eighth wonder of the world. A family and their teenage children sit perfectly straight and delicately eat their meals with an air of superiority in the corner of the room.

The restaurant has only opened two days ago, and it is proving to be a delight. Most people have booked two months in advance; it is not the kind of place you get a table on impulse. Large mullioned windows, long embroidered curtains, dark walnut tables, real flowers, delicate live piano music, a flagstone tile floor, lounge area with embroidered couches, oval coffee tables with splendidly proportioned cabriole legs, and tea served from silver trays in white teapots create a sophisticated and proficient atmosphere throughout the restaurant.