Chapter 44 - Laurene's POV

My father has just called everyone to join him in the banquet hall for the promised lavish eight course meal, so the invited three hundred and forty- two people are vacating their way into the dining hall. The seating arrangements are set up so that there are six elongated tables that each sit fifty-seven people. Ellison and I are seated opposite each other on the middle table, with Mr Kefalas at the end, my dad on his immediate left and my brother on his immediate right, and then me and Ellison opposite each other next to them. I am sat next to Lucas, which is lovely as I have not seen him in so very long a time.

Lengthy buffet tables spread out with trays of the most delicious food and drinks line two of the walls, but you are not expected to go up to accumulate your food yourselves. The waiters bring you a menu to tick the foods you hunger, and then serve it to you. Delicacies await us, capable of making one's mouth water just by description: a whole roast deer with sprigs of rosemary threaded through its antlers and stuffed with bacon and rye bread, marinated chicken, grilled trout with lemon, smoked sausages and a pineapple glazed ham, mounds of fragrant wild rice, potatoes and diced pumpkin smeared with butter and spices, countless cheeses that go with baskets of crackers and bread rolls shaped as seashells, and all sorts of varieties of salads and side dishes. A tureen or two on each table contains either hot soup or hearty casserole. Countless hams, fries, fruits, vegetables, sauces, waterfalls of wine, and streams of spirits that flicker with flames also make up the abundance of food my dad, Mr Kefalas and Ellison and I have payed for. Altogether it cost seventy-nine thousand pounds to purchase all of this luxurious food.

The orchestra has ceased, and instead a small band is tinkling on in the corner, offering us some pleasant back ground music. The meal goes smoothly, and everyone enjoys themselves immensely. I have made sure that any untouched, leftover food is being donated to charities that help the homeless, as I do not think it is right for us to be pigging out on lots of food, then carelessly throwing it all away whilst there are people starving in the world. An hour later when everyone has finished their meals, the staff swiftly and professionally take out the left over food and bring out the spectacular puddings. My stomach did ecstatic cartwheels as I turned my eyes upon the chocolate ice cream sundae, with a ruby-red cherry perched atop the inviting drizzle of gooey syrup. Colourful sprinkles are tauntingly scattered upon the chocolate mound of goodness. With my mouth foaming uncontrollably, I almost neglected to pick up my spoon as I eagerly hailed a waiter to bring me the delectable dessert, and inhaled it rather quickly for my manners to be deemed as gracious.

It is some point during the finish of the serving of puddings that Mr Kefalas stands up and tells everybody that Ellison has an announcement to make. Brilliant, I think. Sweetening us up with puddings before delivering the blow. Ellison offers me a beautiful spark of hope as he smiles tenderly at me, designed to say 'everything is going to be alright'. Even though we still have some bad blood between us, it has been easier then I would like to reveal to act in love with Ellison. If only this was all real.

Taking a deep breath, I stand up at Ellison's beckoning and follow him to the centre of the room, pretending to be puzzled. Nearly four hundred beady eyes zoom in on us both, scrutinizing every move we make. Their stares are almost glares of accusation, as they wait to find out what is so important that we have interrupted their showing off, bragging and socialising. Uncomfortable silence fills the room as we all wait for Ellison to start speaking. Ellison slowly slips his hand into mine, and I can't help but notice how it fits perfectly and makes shivers torment my arm, making my body come alive at his beguiling touch.

"Well, first of all I am sure I speak for both Laurene and I when I say I would like to thank you all for coming. It is lovely to share this special occasion with you all." Lies. we do not even know half of the people personally in here, and the reporters taking pictures in the doorway is simply pestilential.