Chapter 43 - Ellison's POV

Laurene's dress 😍

I cannot believe it is the night of the engagement party.

There is no one else I would rather marry then Laurene, but I wish we were not being rushed into this. You cannot hurry love. We will be tied together in matrimony in only six months from now, unless I can find a way to stop it. The only way to legally call it off is if any detail in the contract is wrong or if one of our lives are at risk. The documents are very thorough, and my lawyers have found no mistakes in them yet. Maybe I could stop it if I called a lawsuit up against my father and Michael, but that would be messy and costly, and not to mention the fact that it would get out into the public and our images would be ruined. My father and Michael would also be liable to fines and possibly a prison sentence for signing the contract behind Laurene and mines back, and for the marriage arrangement, which is illegal in the states. I could not do that to my father, or Laurene, as she needs her dad in her life as she has lost her mother forever.

It is crazy how far along Laurene and I have come together; how we shared a mutual distaste for each other at first, and then progressively became friends, and now I am in love with her. Sometimes I feel as though she feels the same way, then other times I feel as though she will only ever allow us to be best friends. Friends. That word leaves a sour taste in my mouth as if I had been sucking on a lemon. I just do not understand why she is holding back. She has dug her claws so far into my heart that I feel as though we can connect on a spiritual level, if only she would break through her chains of fear and meet me through the other side of that door, blocking us from each other at the moment. If she chooses to take that leap then I will not hesitate to hurdle in after her. I have learnt that you have to do what makes you happy and not waste time - who knows what the future will present us with? I know I am not good enough for Laurene – frankly, no one is - but if she ever gave me a chance then I would do anything for her and make sure she was always happy. I would definitely make sure that I did not follow my father's mistakes with my mum.

I am currently getting ready for the engagement party. I am wearing a crisp new suit, obviously specially tailored for the event. It was designed by Stefano Ricci, and is a navy blue three piece with a blue and gold striped white shirt and a spotted brown and orange tie. I also have a gold handkerchief, ironed to perfection to match with Laurene's golden dress. I have not seen it yet, but I am sure she will look beautiful. I had a haircut yesterday from the same hairdresser that cuts the presidents hair, so my hair is soft and shiny, with not a single strand out of place. I spritz on some cologne, 'Straight to Heaven' by Kilian, which has a strong, sensual smell that creates a dark, dangerous aura around me. Well, that is what Laurene once told me anyway.

I bought Laurene's engagement ring yesterday; I would have loved to have given her my mothers ring, as it is a family heir loom passed down the Kefalas family tree for centuries, but my mother presumably still has it, as my dad forgot to retrieve ...

I bought Laurene's engagement ring yesterday; I would have loved to have given her my mothers ring, as it is a family heir loom passed down the Kefalas family tree for centuries, but my mother presumably still has it, as my dad forgot to retrieve it when they divorced. It is worth an estimated twenty-four million pounds, as it is very old and has a large, pure pink diamond in the middle (one of the only ones of its kind), and smaller, blue diamonds surrounding it. The band is made of wholesome 24-karat gold as well. When I meet my mother again I will ask for it back, as she obviously does not have any use for it anymore, and I will give it too Laurene. The ring I have given her now is a beautiful opal shaped diamond ring, and it is very glitzy, but not too over the top.