Chapter 42 - Laurene's POV

It is Monday morning and I honestly feel so dead. I found it so hard to sleep last night because my body is still used to the Greek time zone. However, I do not want another day to go by consisting of just sitting around. I need to start work again, so that is what I am going to do. It feels so weird having to get up and get ready for work after having such a long time off, but it is necessary to get back into the swing of things. Anything to distract me from Ellison and my father is sincerely applauded.

Louisa knocks on my door to let me know my bath is ready, and I hurry out of bed to greet her. She is a very efficient maid, and I think she has the hots for Dylan, my cook. I only hope that they don't get distracted from their jobs by each other. I miss Femke immensely, and am saddened when I remember our emotional goodbye yesterday. She will be looking after another household whilst Ellison is in America, so at least she still has work.

Once I am all ready for work, I analyse my appearance in my 'mirror-wall'. It is a wall in my lounge that is entirely made of a mirror, which I find very helpful for making sure that I look good in every angle. I am wearing a smart white business suit and classy Jimmy Choo high heels. I have decided to put my hair into a French braid to keep it out the way whilst I am working.

Landon takes me to work for eight thirty, so that I am there early to get a head start in preparing my daily activities. I am greeted in my office by Norman and Mr James Branson, who is second in charge to me (he is the vice-president whilst I am going to be the President of the business). He is a single, middle aged man, and has quite an obnoxious personality, but is one of the best businessmen I have ever met. His ruthless yet professional personality made him an excellent candidate in helping me with the business, and as a result my father and I choose him to manage the Investors and Project Proposals. Luckily my father and him are quite good friends, so he respects me as his boss.

"Norman, James." I nod at the men.

"Miss District, welcome back. I trust that you had a good holiday?" James asks me.

"Yes thank you James. Well done on looking after the business for me. Norman, how are you?" I ask him.

"Fine thank you miss." Norman responds distantly, and won't look me in the eye. He is probably just tired.

"Right so, first things first, I am just going to prepare myself for the day ahead, then I would like a meeting with you James and the rest of Top Level Management to discuss where we are at, and also especially the hospital development, which I will be personally taking over. How does 9:30 sound?" I ask them.

"That sounds good. I am sure Norman can let the others know." James states.

"Of course sir, miss." Norman says then hurries out of my office and into his own.

When the time comes for the meeting, I get Nadia (a new admin intern) to prepare us all our drinks and retrieve us all a notepad and pen. Miss Chloe Cleve arrives first, who is the finance director in District Real Estate limited. She is a driven young woman who often stays late to complete any projects and offers refreshing ideas on ways we can improve. We get on quite well as we have a similar work ethic, and are dedicated to what we do. She is quite frumpy and has a moustache lining her top lip, but if you are able to over look her physical properties then you are able to see a raw gem inside, as she is very kind, committed and helpful.

My team of nine top level partners all trickle into the room until we are just waiting for Miss Ning Liu, the Senior Design Manager. She is a very sweet Chinese Lady, who is phenomenal at interior design, and is very trendy. Every year she goes to the New York and Milan fashion week, and I sometimes wonder if she will leave her job here to become a clothes designer, instead of a building one. When she hurries into the room I give her a sweet smile and then start the meeting. I still find it daunting, as only six months back I was sitting at the table as a spare part, shadowing my dad as he conducts a meeting.