Chapter 16 - Laurene's POV

"Hello?" I answer the call timidly.

"Laurene! Have you seen the news? Some one has snitched to the press!" Ellison sounds out of breath as if he has been running.

"Yes Ellison I have! Who would have done that? The media is going crazy eating this up – it feels like the only magazine who has not made a comment about us is yours! It's ridiculous, I mean..." I wander off my rant when I hear people shouting in the background of the call and Ellison curse under his breath.

"Ellison? What's going on?"

"The press! They have been following me all morning trying to get me to release a statement! They are outside both of my houses and my fathers!"

After a moment of thought, I reply: "Well, come to my house. The press don't know that I have my own house – they believe I am still living in one of my father's mansions."

"Thank you Laurene! I will try to lose them so they won't find out where you live." Ellison explains, and then ends the call abruptly. I would have felt slightly offended at his lack of good-bye and clipped tone if I did not know that he was on the run from vultures eager to pick his brain.

After half an hour of worrying Ellison shows up at my house. During this time, I had had a shower, lightly curled my hair, put natural makeup on and put on some skinny dark blue jeans, with a cute grey off the shoulder knitted jumper that matches my nails. What? It is not as if I am making the effort for him... It is for me. Yeah, for my own confidence. I fling open the door revealing a stressed and tired looking Ellison. Surveying the area, I am glad to see that none of the press have been able to follow him to my house – I like my privacy. He trudges into my lounge and collapses onto my sofa.

"Ellison, are you ok?" I ask cautiously.

"Hmmm. I have just had a tiring morning. Have you seen what the Daily Chronicle wrote about me?" He asks, his hypnotic grey-green eyes penetrating into mine with highlighted uncertainty.

"Yes." I exclaim with a sigh.

"You don't... believe it, right?" He asks, looking like a vulnerable little boy scared of rejection. In that moment, I want to give him a hug, but I decide against it. I have to restrict my emotions around him, as a simple smile can leave me in a daze for hours. I blame his plump thick lips, defined with by a strong cupids bow, looking so alluring and so... kissable all of the goddamn time.

"No of course not! I know you well enough to know that you wouldn't conduct illegal business or steal from charity." I exclaim in a squeaky voice, trying to shake my embarrassing earlier thoughts. At my words, a smile erupts onto his face, instantly making me want to smile back. Great. I do not have any control over my actions anymore! He nods in contentment and snuggles into my sofa. I decide to go and get some blankets so that he can take a nap – he looks like he needs it!

By the time I had made my way back down stairs, he was already gone. Snoring softly and a very relaxed look echoing his peace, he looks ten years younger and almost... innocent. His long black lashes fan against his soft cheeks, and a few rebellious pieces of his soft raven-black hair have fallen astray and are dangling in his face. I knew I should not do it, but my hands seemed to have a mind of their own as they reach forward and gently brush the pieces back into their rightful place. I let my hands trail down to his cheek, where they linger for a beat too long for 'friends', then remove my hand, breaking the enthralling moment. I then proceeded to wrap the blankets around him, making sure he is comfortable. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a flash... Whipping my head around there are two reporters grinning at me, snapping my picture. Oh no! How long have they been there? They did not see me stroking his face did they? Oh no! This is bad! Everyone will see this! Helplessly I rush over to the blinds and yank them shut, then proceed to call security. How did they get through the gate? Now Ellison will think I have a thing for him!