Chapter 31 - Ellison's POV

I surprised myself at just how much I missed Laurene yesterday. The house was just a building without her here, and no longer a home. The hallways were not alive with her humming, and my bedroom was not buzzing with her positive energy. It felt as if a part of me were missing. Her. She is a chunk of me no matter how many times I rebuff it.

Today the police are going to come around to discuss the case so far. It has been just over two and a half weeks since the original accident, so it is about time they told me what they have found. They were going to come a week ago, but because of my healing process, the pending investigation and then the storm; we did not get around to arranging one. Today Commander Shaft and Detective Kokinos are coming to my house to take more statements from Laurene and me and to share their findings. I hope that they have a strong lead on who they suspect injured me because it would be nice to have some closure about the whole thing. I have no idea why anyone would want to harm me. If I was raped, which I am glad I was not awake for, I hope they find the disgusting person who violated me and bring her to justice. If I knew what really happened that night, then I would be ok, it is just the unknown that is clawing at my insides, strangling me with the silence of the ambiguous actions.

If they are not able to find out what happened in the next couple of days, then I do not know what will happen because I need to get back to America soon. There have been rumours in my business that I faked the accident just so I could get a month's holiday off, which obviously is not true. I know that Laurene's father has been nagging at her to come home and show her worth for her business as well, so I need to speed the case up so that we can get home and get Laurene out of trouble with her father. I do not know why he is so hard on her. If I ever have a daughter, I hope that she will be just like Laurene – beautiful, kind and loving. I do not know what more he can expect from her.

I am brought out of my thoughts by a beautiful voice wafting into my brain and awakening me to reality. It is Laurene humming again. Her voice is smooth, clear and gentle yet quite powerful. It is the promise of being together, as it leads the pathway of my thoughts to her. It is delicate, and I wish that she would never stop. The door opens after her soft knocking, revealing Laurene with a massive grin and messy bed head. She seems happier this morning; her humming and tangible smile promises this.

"Morning Ellison how are you feeling today?" Laurene chirps.

"Not too bad, you seem happier this morning." I approve.

"Yes, I had a lovely time yesterday. I am really going to miss Greece." She sighs.

"Greece is going to miss you! You have made a great impact on my family and others in the community; they all love you." I comfort her, offering an understanding smile. I am going to miss Greece too; it will always be a part of me.

"Remember, we've got the police coming round today to discuss the case." I remind her.

"Oh... yes. I hope that they found out what happened at the party and with the accident that was not such a big accident." She replies to me, instantly looking down thinking of the events that threw us closer together.

"It will be fine, but I think we should start getting ready now." I convey to her, and then she nods in agreement and scurries off to get dressed.

I put on some simple dark wash jeans paired with a basic musky grey tee and dark blue blazer. The only thing that is ruining my look is the crutch that I have to wear if I am walking long distances, as I get tired. Apart from that I am pretty much all healed; just a few aches and pains if I move to fast or turn into a funny position. I still have bruises like storm clouds littering my chest and some fading ones on my face and legs. My shoulder, which was dislocated with the force of the impact, no longer requires a sling, and I can perform most normal everyday activities, but cannot resume going to the gym or lifting weights for another month. My ribs are also still quite sore, and I am on medication for them still, but I can take deeper breaths and twist my torso more so then I could a couple of weeks ago. I am anxious to start getting active again, but as Laurene and my doctors keep telling me, I need to wait for at least six weeks to give my body sufficient time to rest and heal.