Chapter 27 - Laurene's POV

I am currently having an internal battle with myself on whether I should tell someone about the messages and my stalker. Sitting on the beach usually gives me some solace, but today I just cannot think co-ordinately. There are a few groups of people jotted around, but for the most part, it is empty and tranquil. I bestow my gaze to the far off horizon, the flaring hues of the sun melting into the sky and ocean like a divine painting. The forever-stretching sea is masked with an apricot colour, that beautiful umber flowing into turquoise. Through narrowed eyes, I watch as each wave overlaps one another, sending the white bubbling crests descending, masking the shore with the transparent fading water.

I have not alerted Ellison of my presence home yet, as I do not think I can face anyone with out braking down. I have never felt so alone and plain scared in my life. As depressing thoughts continue to fog my mind up, I decide that I cannot keep this bottled up for any longer. I need to tell someone to help me and console me through this. Some one who I can trust wholeheartedly. Someone who I can always count on. Someone who truly knows me. Norman. He does not know but he is like a brother to me. Before I can talk myself out of it, I pluck my phone out of my pocket, firmly press Norman's contact details, and select to call him. I may have a determined, warriors mask on my face, but inside my tummy has turned to mush and my brain to jelly. After two rings, Norman picks up.

"Hello? Laurene?" A sleepy Norman calls out.

"Hi Norman... Sorry to wake you. I just wanted to talk to you about something. If you're not otherwise preoccupied." I say, with a nervous chuckle.

"Sure, what's up?" He asks expectantly.

"Well... I'm in a bit of a pickle..." I start, whilst rubbing my sweaty palms on my jeans.

"Ok..." Norman replies, a tinge of uncertainty clouding his voice.

"Well you see..." I go on to tell him everything that has been happening to me, including the messages and stalker.

"Laurene you need to be careful. This sounds serious, and I know you do not want to tell anyone but I think you should report it to the police. Someone is obviously trying to get Ellison's money and position, because of the contract not going through. Maybe they'll start using you as leverage against him, as you obviously care for each other."

"I know, but I can't risk my friends or family's safety. I would never forgive myself if something happened to one of them just because I could not deal with a few creepy messages and an even eerier guy!"

"I understand, but this could be very serious Laurene. You should probably tell Ellison as this involves him as well." Norman suggests.

"No... I do not want to bother him, as he needs to focus on getting better. Also he would probably do something rash such as taking it upon himself to find and deal with the people on his own, which he is in no condition to do." I sigh, feeling the bubble of unsureness grow bigger.

"If you don't think it is wise then don't... However, I think you are onto something there. What if we could find out where the messages are coming from? It might lead us to finding out who they are and what they actually want."

"Hmm. I guess. But who would be able to do that? A hacker? I don't exactly want to tell anyone else about this." I reply.

"Well, what if we don't have too? I mean, well, I uh, I know someone from my college days."

"What do you mean Norman?" I ask, interest peaked.

"Well, God this is going to go well... When I was in college I uh, I um... Was part of a group that used to hack into the school computers and encrypted code and such. I haven't done it in years, but give me a couple of hours and I might be able to find where the signals coming from."