Chapter 29 - Ellison's POV

"What has happened to her?" I ask, my mind immediately jumping to all of the worst-case scenarios.

"It's all my fault! I should have listened..." she chokes out in between strangled sobs.

"What's your fault? What has exactly happened?" I ask, feeling a pit of swirling dread and unease flow through me.

"Poppy... they broke into her house! Attacked her and her sisters..." she cries heartbreakingly.

Suddenly, a frantic Celena rushes through the doors with a worried Adrian faltering behind her. I was so wrapped up in a world of Laurene that I never even realised he slipped out of the room to get help. Celena rushes forward, a look of terror photographed in her eyes, which are wide and frantic. A tinge of jealousy surges through me, as Celena untangles the broken Laurene from my arms and pulls her into her own, cooing at her as if she were a baby. I do not see why she would need to do that – Laurene and me were both fine clinging to each other!

I try to dismiss my unnecessary feelings but the voice is still there, nibbling at the back of my mind, whispering to me to take her back into my arms, where she belongs. Of course, I cannot though; think of the reactions of everyone else! Laurene is not truly mine, and everything is just so frustrating with the way that we have been placed like puppets in an arranged marriage for the benefit of our fathers.

With a deep frown set on my face, I roughly shove my feelings back into my subconscious as I prepare to devote all of me to Laurene, who needs me. I reach over and stroke her hair comfortingly, to let her know that I am here for her. A few of her silky strands are stuck to her soft face, drenched in tears. Like a gentle breeze, I detach her hair from her face and push it over her head. The sensation of her golden locks cascading through my fingers makes my insides warm up, as if I had just drunk molten gold, melting me to the core in complete satisfaction. Her eyes flutter up to meet mine; those beautiful blue orbs that lead to her irresistible soul. Pain, guilt and cramping distress billow around in them, taking captive of all rational thoughts as she falls victim to her own mind. Almost painfully, her eyelids squeeze tight together as she blocks out all light, and a new round of tears erupt from her face, beading together in a crowd of sadness.

A subtle cough catches my attention, which makes me subconsciously look over to the white glass door where Auntie Charisa and Adrian are standing. Auntie Charisa beckons me over to her, coaxing with a pleading look as if I was a small child that had ran away. It is probably because of the way I do not want to leave Laurene. Not wanting to look like a clingy boyfriend, I lean over and place a compassionate yet concrete kiss to her forehead. I do not think she even recognised my lips descend upon her skin; as she was too busy crying her heart out in Celena's arms. Reluctantly, I pull myself away from Laurene and move over to where Auntie Charisa is.

"What happened?" She asks me in a soft tone.

"Someone broke into her friend Poppy's house and attacked her and her sisters. I don't know the extent of her injuries." I reply in a grave tone.

"I see. We were having a lovely time with Jacinda and Mali, when her phone started ringing. I am telling you, she went as white as a sheet, and was very hesitant in answering the call. It was as if she expected that something bad had happened. What do you make of that?" She asks with worry stamped onto her kind face.

"I'm not sure... She could not have possibly known... Unless her friend has been receiving threats possibly? No... I am not sure, but something fishy is going on around here. She kept blaming herself, saying it is her fault. How could that be the case?" I ask, with a thousand different scenarios swirling around in my mind.