Chapter 20 - Laurene's POV

At four thirty, Ellison came to pick me up outside the baroque conference building, where my father's big-shot investors have signed the contract meaning that they will continue to invest and own two shares of my company. This is fantastic news, as with out them and their combined support and power, I do not think I would have enough backing to run the company. It should also hopefully make my father proud, as he and granddaddy owe all their success down to these men. Luckily for me, they owe all of their success and money to father and granddaddy as well, as when their business skyrocketed, so did their status and names.

"Remind me why we're going to see Bemus again?" Ellison whines for the millionth time this journey.

"Because he is family, and you don't give up on family." I patiently enlighten him with a smile.

Ellison muttered something incoherent under his breath, which sounded strangely like 'you've got me wrapped around your little finger.' Ridiculous right? I obviously misheard. He would only say something like that if he liked me romantically.

On the drive back to his house, I looked out of the window and admired the Greek scenery. Everything is so much more real and different to America – here I can be free and act however I want. It feels like home. America feels like the place where I am judged, and have to act perfect all of the time. It is like a little euphoric place, where we are cocooned in a blanket, unable to see the harsh reality of the outside world.

I had two hours to get ready by the time we arrived back at Ellison's mansion, which may seem like ages, but I had not planned on how I was going to style myself, or allowed myself an hour of procrastination yet! Luckily, Femke came in and helped me to decide on what I wanted to wear, which I eventually choose to be a tight, backless white lace dress that reaches mid-thigh. Femke lightly curls my hair for me, and then I do some makeup – a bit more then usual as I am going to a party. I add some glitter onto my eyelids and eyeliner to accentuate my electric blue eyes, as well as a peach blush paired with a nudey lipstick. Now that I am done, I have to say that I look good. This was one of those moments when, if she were here, Serafina would probably catcall and whistle saying 'Girl! You look hot!'

I pair the dress with some black heels, and sweep my hair onto my shoulder showing off my braless back. Femke claps as I jokingly twirl around posing with her. I make up my mind to give her the day off tomorrow, as last night she told me about her two little girls and little boy that she has at home, who are looked after by her mother, as she works hard to afford the rent while her husband gambles away her money. She is such a lovely and sweet person, and does not deserve that treatment what so ever.

"You look so beautiful Miss." Femke coos at me.

"Femke! How many times have I told you? Please, call me Laurene. You are a dear friend to me!" I try to persuade her.

"Ok mi... I mean Laurene." She smiles brightly.

"Oh yes, and Femke, please take a days paid leave tomorrow. I can manage by myself, and I know how much you want to spend time with your children." I smile kindly. She gapes at me in shock, until suddenly she throws her arms around me, wrapping me up like a present in her tight embrace.

"Thank you thank you thank you!" she exclaims, then unwraps herself from me, and takes my face in her hands.

"Laurene you are such a kind person. Ellison is lucky to have you."

"Oh, we're not together." I nervously laugh it off.

"That's not what I thought when you were in the ocean together." She exclaims, with a twinkle of mischief in her chocolate coloured eyes.

"You know about that?" I whisper yell.

"Yes! I nearly killed Apollo when he interrupted your moment." She says with a pout.