The rebellion

A knock sounded on the throne room doors. Regent Nanako sat on the throne with Prince Ryoma at her side.

"Should I allow them in?" Nanako asked Ryoma

Ryoma shook his head. "Wait for me to hide first then let them in."

Nanako smiled and nodded. Ryoma moved from the side of the throne to behind a pillar in the corner of the throne room; he also used magic to make sure his presence was hidden as a safety precaution.

"Come in!" Nanako shouted so the guards outside could hear her.

At the approval, the doors were pushed open to reveal two council members. The two walked forward and kneeled in front of the throne. One of the members were looking around the room as well, apparently trying to locate his prince. Seeing no one besides them and Nanako the members grinned. "Nanako-sama, the rebels from before are requesting an audience."

Nanako sighed. "Again? Did they not have an audience two weeks ago?"

The same member that spoke earlier answered. "Yes, but it seems they were not satisfied with the negotiations and wished to speak with the prince this time."

Nanako glared. "They dare request an audience with the prince!"

The council members grinned once more. "Should I send them off?"

"Of course, tell them that the decisions were final and I will not be discussing the issue further. Neither will his royal highness."

"Are you sure that is a choice you can make Nanako-sama?"

Nanako raised an eyebrow. "Are you saying we should allow a small unorganized rebel group speak with the prince? Are you saying someone from the outside should know of his highness's identity?"

"No, I'm merely asking why not discuss this with the council and see what other choices are available to you. Surely just sending them off with a negative response will not stop the rebels. Obviously, more action is required to deal with them. After all, they have been very persistent lately."

Nanako stole a quick glance in Ryoma's direction; it was so subtle that no one else in the room but Ryoma noticed. Ryoma smirked at this but otherwise did not give any sign to Nanako about what she should do.

Seeing she will not be getting any help from her cousin Nanako decided to voice her own opinion. "The rebels have yet to act violently, their protests so far have been peaceful. There is no need to take action towards them."

The council member that has been silent the entire time growled and shouted. "Are you saying we should wait until they cause harm before we stop them! How nieve!"

"I will not use forceful action on a peaceful group, end of discussion!" Nanako folded her arms in
front of her chest and turned her head away from the two members. "Deliver what I said earlier to the rebels and you both are dismissed."

"Very well." The two members stood and bowed before they left the throne room, shutting the doors behind them.

Ryoma amused at the whole thing finally revealed himself. "You did well Nanako."

Nanako sighed and looked over at Ryoma. "I can only fight them for so long, most of the time they force my hand and get what they want. I have no power over them; I don't even know if they will follow my orders as well."

Ryoma walked towards the throne room doors while waving one hand in Nanako's direction. "Don't worry about the council, just do what you have been doing, and I'll handle the rest. Be the
good puppet they think you are."

Nanako stood up from her throne and balled her fists at her sides. "Stand-in!" she yelled, but Ryoma was no longer in sight.

Ryoma had an idea as to what the council was planning. They had always believed it best to rule with fear. Most likely the council was hoping to use the rebel group to display their power and force the citizens to obey. Ryoma hated that kind of thinking. His father never ruled with fear. Instead, he was just and a kind king. The people followed him because they admired him. The other races never got involved because his father respected them. The council was trying to destroy all that his father built.