Breathe

"Where the hell are you taking me, Richie?" Eddie asked, acting mad when he really wasn't. He secretly loved the fact that he was going an impromptu adventure with Richie, his best friend but also crush. He sat on the back of Richie's bike, hands wrapped around the boy's waist as they zoomed across the roads of Derry.

"You'll see," Richie replied with a snicker. Eddie rolled his eyes and smiled. 

"This better be good, Tozier." He leaned closer into Richie's back as they made a turn, their surroundings becoming increasingly familiar to Eddie.

"Here we are," Richie smirked as he stopped and leaned his bike against a rock. 

"The quarry?! Are you serious Richie?" Eddie shouted as Richie whisked him away. Seconds later, they stood at the edge of the tall cliff overlooking the water below.

"Oh no no no, Richie. We are NOT jumping in there. Are you crazy?" Eddie screeched. "First of all, we're wearing our normal clothes. My mom will freak if I come home soaked. Second, do you know how many diseases and germs I could get from that water? And plus, I'm fucking scared! Are you not seeing how high up we are?!"

"Aw, come on Eds! Ya only live once," Richie winked and nudged his shoulder. "Just tell your mom you walked through a lawn sprinkler or some shit. And besides, I'll hold your hand!" Richie offered.

Eddie thought for a moment. Him holding his hand did kind of make it better. He'd do it just this once, for Richie. Eddie gulped and reluctantly nodded, not daring to look down. Richie held out his hand which Eddie accepted and lightly squeezed it, causing Eddie to blush.

"On the count of three..." Richie declared. Eddie braced for the jump, hoping it wasn't as bad as it looked. "One... THREE!" Richie yelled, jumping and pulling Eddie down with him.

"AAAHHHH!" Eddie screamed for the seconds they fell in the air before they made contact with the water.

Their bodies hit the water with a splash. They both remain submerged in the cool water for a few seconds. Both boys faced each other underwater, eyes wide open. Eddie saw Richie's glasses lightly rise from his nose bridge revealing his mesmerizing eyes and his soft curls dance around  his head. Richie saw Eddie's brown hair bounce on his forehead and a light smile creep onto his face. Time seemed to slow down as they stared at one another, but eventually both had to paddle upwards for air.

Both gasped as they reached the surface, not just for the much-needed air, but also because they realized their faces were only inches apart. Richie ran his hand through Eddie's hair and leaned in. Holy shit, this is the moment I've been waiting for, thought Eddie.

Eddie closed his eyes as Richie was just about to close the gap between them. Just then, Richie took advantage of the moment to splash Eddie's face, catching him off guard.

"What the hell, Richie!" Eddie yelled, laughing and sputtering out water. What a fucking tease, he thought. He's gonna get it now!

Eddie splashed back, and it was Richie's turn to laugh and spit put water. They went on with their war for a few more minutes. "Is that all you've got, Eds?" Richie challenged before moving further into the water and creating a monster wave with his arm. It completely soaked Eddie, submerging him even.

Eddie flailed his arms around helplessly, gasping as he bobbed in and out of the water as he struggled. Richie had failed to notice that the water was too deep for Eddie to stand upright anymore, and he wasn't a strong swimmer since Mrs. Kaspbrak didn't want her son out in the "dangerous" water.

Richie immediately spring into action. "Eds!" he yelled as he swam over and carried him to shore. He laid his body down on the ground, hovering over him. 

"Eddie, please tell me you're okay!" Richie pleaded. He took a hold of Eddie's shoulders as he remained unresponsive. Richie started to tear up. He must have already swallowed too much water. There was one thing that came to his mind, and he knew he had to do it. He had to try to save the one person he loved the most.

Richie leaned down and put a hand behind Eddie's head, tilting it towards him. He parted his lips with his other hand and connected their mouths. Richie breathed into Eddie, hoping he was doing this right. He continued a few more rounds of breaths before he saw Eddie finally cough out water.

Richie's face lit up seeing Eddie was okay. He patted Eddie's back until all the water was out. Eddie looked up at him gratefully and immediately pulled him into a tight hug. Once they pulled away, Richie cupped his hands around Eddie's jaw. 

"I was so, so scared Eds. I thought I was gonna lose you and it would've been all my fault. I'm the one that forced you into this," Richie said, his voice breaking. 

"It's okay, Richie. You saved me," Eddie replied with a light smile, putting his arms around the taller boy's waist. 

"How can I ever make it up to you, Eds?" Richie asked, rubbing his thumbs against Eddie's cheeks.

"How about by finishing what you started?" Eddie giggled, taking hold of the taller boy's soaked shirt. 

"I thought you'd never ask, Eddie Spaghetti." Richie leaned in and actually kissed him this time, their soft lips colliding passionately as they stood alone at the quarry - soaking wet but amazingly happy. 

A/N: Sorry for not updating, I've been caught up with Halloween and Stranger Things S2 :) Also thanks so much for 250 reads!