Skating

"Can you fuckers quit flirting and hurry up?" Richie rolled his eyes as he waited impatiently for his best friend, Beverly, and her new boyfriend, Ben, to finish lacing their skates up so they could head out onto the ice rink.

"Richie!" Beverly scolded, walking over to talk with her best friend privately. "Look, this is my first date, and I want it to go well... can you just try to be nice to Ben? Please, for me," Beverly whispered. She knew that Richie wasn't too fond of her finding someone else to spend time with as he felt she was replacing him.

"Fine, Bev..." Richie sighed and gave her a weak smile. "Just for today." 

"Thanks, Rich. And I know it was supposed to be just our day to hang out, so I'm sorry." Beverly apologized. She could see that Richie was a bit upset at the fact that he was being left out. "But who knows, maybe you'll find someone cute to skate with?"

"Highly doubt it." Richie scoffed before he stepped onto the ice. He'd been skating a few times before and had caught on pretty quickly. zooming past his two friends who were struggling to glide.

"Hey, is Richie okay?" Ben asked Beverly, not knowing what the two had been discussing but seeing him skate off by himself.

"Yeah... don't worry about it, Ben. Now let's skate, shall we?" Beverly smiled and took Ben's hand as they stepped into the rink, both of them struggling to keep upright and holding onto each other and the wall so they wouldn't fall onto the slippery ice.

Richie watched the two laughing and holding onto each other from across the rink and could feel his heart ache a bit at the fact that it wasn't just him and Beverly anymore. Maybe it was because he was too annoying, made too many sex jokes, or burdened her with his family problems. Beverly deserved a sweet guy like Ben to spend her time with, not a Trashmouth like him. Richie's mind raced a mile a minute, and it reflected in his reckless skating. Richie hadn't realized the speed he was skating backwards until he crashed right into someone, nearly knocking both of them over.

"Dude, watch where the fuck you're go- oh, s-sorry." Richie immediately apologized as he saw the cutest boy he'd ever laid his eyes on. He was a bit on the short side, had chestnut hair, light freckles, and big doe eyes. 

Fuck, he's adorable.

Richie told a hold of his arm and stared with wide eyes as the fragile boy regained his balance. 

"Are you okay?" Richie asked, his voice full of concern. He didn't know why he was going so soft for someone he'd just met. If it were someone else, he probably would have flipped them off and skated away.

"Y-yeah, I think so. Just a little dizzy." The boy's soft voice was like music to Richie's ears. Richie realized he was still holding onto his arm and quickly pulled back, blushing.

"Sorry again about that, I wasn't really paying attention. I'm, uh, Richie. You?"

"Eddie," the boy replied with a smile. Eddie. It suit him, Richie decided. A cute name for a cute boy. 

Richie was so caught up in Eddie's beauty that he didn't notice there were two other boys with him until one of them cleared their throat, causing him to look up.

"I'm B-b-b-" the boy with reddish-brown hair started. 

"His name is Bill. I'm Stan," the curly-haired boy finished, holding out a hand to shake.

"Well, fancy meeting you lads on such a nice afternoon! Richie Tozier's the name," Richie introduced in a failed attempt at an accent as he returned the handshake.

"As you can see, I've already become acquainted with your friend Eds here," Richie smirked, grabbing Eddie and giving him a noogie.

"Do not call me that!" Eddie giggled as he swatted Richie away, unable to hide his smile from the outgoing boy who'd already given him a nickname though they had only met a minute ago.