Smoke

Squeakk. Creakk. 

The two sounds played in a constant loop as Eddie and Richie swung on the playground swings. It was the evening and everyone had already left the park, so the two boys sat in a comfortable silence.

"Eds, you mind?" Richie suddenly asked, pulling a small box out of his pocket. 

"Um, no?" Eddie replied without completely understanding what he'd consented to. Eddie then saw that Richie had a hand cupped in front of his mouth and saw the small flicker of a lighter ignite a cigarette and release a wisp of smoke above.

Eddie turned away, growing increasingly tense and uncomfortable as Richie continued inhaling and breathing out puffs of the strong smell. Eddie thought as he dragged his feet along the wood chips. 

He'd remembered smelling cigarette smoke on Richie's clothes when he hugged him ever since seventh grade, but told himself that it probably rubbed off from his parents at home. Now he knew it was the habit that rubbed off. He simply hated the fact that Richie was doing this to himself. Had no one told this boy what smoking can do to your lungs?

Eddie was about to open his mouth to say something when a gust of wind struck and blew smoke in his direction. "Ew! Ugh!" Eddie choked out, waving the tobacco scented fumes away. His coughing quickly lead to breathing troubles and caused him to nearly have an asthma attack. 

"Shit Eds, sorry!" Richie exclaimed, throwing and putting out his cigarette on the ground before rushing to kneel down in front of Eddie.

He helped him get out his inhaler and pulled the trigger at his lips. He rubbed Eddie's knee as he soon gained control over his breath. Eddie looked down at Richie, whose eyes filled with concern. 

"S-sorry again, Eddie." Richie said, swallowing in guilt. 

"That's okay," Eddie paused and bit his lip before saying what was on his mind.

"I just... I just don't like this, Rich. You smoking. It's a nasty habit. It hurts me to see you destroying yourself," Eddie expressed. 

"Oh," Richie whispered.

"When did you start?" Eddie asked. 

"When I was 12... My parents always have cigarettes at home are I guess they're too drunk to notice I've been taking them. Either that or they don't give a fuck I've been smoking.  I guess it just helps me think and get some stuff off my shoulders," Richie explained, not making eye contact.

Eddie placed his hand on top of Richie's. "You don't need to be ashamed. I get it," Eddie assured, though Richie could sense he was still uncomfortable. 

"I mean, I can stop you know... for you, Eds." Richie said, looking him in the eyes.

"R-really?" Eddie was surprised at his proposal. 

"Well, sure. If it's what you want." Eddie nodded yes in reply. Richie took his hand so they both stood up facing each other. 

"Anything for you," Richie whispered, placing a hand behind Eddie's ear and stroking his cheek with his thumb. Eddie smiled and blushed. Just then, Richie leaned in and kissed the shorter boy gently. Eddie felt like fireworks were going off inside of him as he kissed back. The cocky, often annoying, and trash-talking Tozier had a soft spot for him.

Eddie pulled away and giggled. "That was great and all, but let's try that again when you don't taste like cigarettes." Eddie fake-gagged while Richie laughed. 

"Can do, Eds!" Richie threw his arm around him as they walked away the park.

"Wait, one more thing." Richie ran to the trash can and threw out the box of cigarettes. Eddie smiled at the sacrifice. 

"You're not so bad, Trashmouth," Eddie remarked, elbowing his side lightly. 

"Neither are you, Eddie Spaghetti." Richie replied, ruffling his hair. He surprised Eddie once again by suddenly sweeping his off the ground and running with him in his arms bridal style.

"Hey! Put me down! You better put me back on the fucking ground right now, Tozier!" Eddie continued protesting about the safety risks, but inside he knew he enjoyed it. Richie laughed as he carried Eddie home, finally setting him down and pecking his cheek before they parted ways.

A/N: thanks so much for 1K reads guys!! u guys are the best :)