The Argument

"Oh Eddie bear! It's time for lunch!" Mrs. Kaspbrak called from downstairs. Eddie sighed, rolling off his bed. For the past hour, he had laid there rehearsing out everything he would say to her in his mind, occasionally stopping to take a hit from his inhaler every time he panicked. Today was the day he decided he would tell his mother he was gay.

Mrs. Kaspbrak wasn't particularly mean, just overprotective. Eddie knew she cared about him, but felt like she'd cut him off from the rest of the world if she had could. She'd tried convincing Eddie that his friends didn't care for him the way she did, and that she was all he needed. Sometimes she would take her anger out on him, emotionally hurting the small boy. Eddie believed she was like this ever since his father died, so had tried to be forgiving and understanding towards her.

"Coming," Eddie said as he made his way down the stairs and to the kitchen table. 

"I made some spaghetti just for you! Your favorite," Mrs. Kaspbrak exclaimed as she piled the pasta onto their plates. As they ate, Eddie grew more and more nervous and felt as if he was losing his appetite. Instead, he simply swirled his fork around and looked the other way.

"Edward, what's wrong? Did you take your meds this morning?" his mother asked, noticing that he had stopped eating. 

"Um, yes. But there's, uh, something else on my mind." Eddie confessed. 

"And what would that be, honey?" she asked, pushing her glasses farther up her nose.

Oh God. This was the moment he'd been preparing for. Things could go so wrong, but then again, they might go right. He tapped his foot nervously, realizing he was too far in to back out now. He had to do it now. He took a puff from his inhaler, cheeks red and eyes filled with worry as he faced his mother.

"Well?" Mrs. K asked, growing concerned. "Mom, I'm... I'm gay." Eddie managed to get out. He looked up, vulnerable and shaken as ever. His mother looked back at him in plain shock and released a gasp. 

"Edward Kaspbrak, you take that back RIGHT NOW," his mother ordered, furious as she pushed away from the table.

"No mom! I like boys, don't you understand! I always have!" Eddie yelled, tears choking his words. 

"Not in my house you don't. Your friends put that nasty thought in your head, didn't they?! I bet it was that Tozier boy!" Eddie trembled, unable to process what was happening. 

"That's sick, Edward! YOU'RE SICK! And I'm not letting you leave the house until you get over your - YOUR DISEASE!" His mother screamed as she grabbed a plate and flung it across the room. It shattered against the wall, Eddie only feet away.

Eddie began uncontrollably sobbing. "How could you! I thought you loved me!" Eddie ran out of the room and through the front door. He didn't know where he wanted to go. All he knew was that he needed to get away. He hopped on his bike and rode away to his Richie's house, never turning back though he heard his mother yelling his name.

By the time he reached the house, he had to drag himself to the door, physically and emotionally exhausted. He pounded on the door with his last bit of energy and attempted to wipe away some tears.

Moments later, his best friend opened the door to his messy house. "Holy shit, what happened to you?" Richie asked as he grabbed Eddie's shoulders. 

"I-I.." Eddie started only to begin crying again. 

"Shh, it's okay. I'll get you inside," Richie said as he lifted Eddie up bridal-style into his messy house and up to his room.

He set him down on the floor of his room and tried to comfort him. Richie hadn't had much experience with this - he rarely ever went soft. But that was one of the effects this boy could have on him. He wasn't used to affection himself, but that didn't mean he didn't have a heart under his crude humor and ego.

As the boy sobbed with his head in his hands, Richie put his hand on his knee and rubbed it comfortingly, still not completely sure what was going on. But what he did know was that it absolutely broke his heart seeing Eddie this way, and he wanted to do everything he possibly could to protect him. He got his inhaler out of his fanny pack to help Eddie breathe though his constant sobs.

 He got his inhaler out of his fanny pack to help Eddie breathe though his constant sobs

"Hold me?" Eddie asked quietly through his muffled sobs. 

"Yeah, of course." Richie nearly melted hearing the boy's vulnerable and scared tone. He lifted his light body up onto his lap and allowed Eddie to wrap his legs around his waist and his arms around his neck. Richie gently rubbed his back and slowly rocked him to calm him down.

Minutes later, Richie finally spoke up. "Eds?" 

"Yes?" Eddie slowly pulled away from Richie's shoulder that was now soaked from tears. 

"What happened?" Richie asked with genuine concern. 

"I came out to my mother and she didn't take it so well. She said that I was sick because I'm gay... It looked like she was going to hurt me so I knew I had to leave," Eddie replied sadly.

"Oh, Eds." He brought his head back down towards his shoulder and kissed his forehead. "I'm sorry. I get it," Richie responded. 

"Richie, you don't have to say that you understand. You're not gay," Eddie said. 

"I never said that." Richie replied. Wait, what?

"I do like boys, I guess. Well more specifically, a boy. I have for a while now, just never really admitted it." Richie confessed, not making eye contact. 

"R-Really?" Eddie asked, not wanting to sound desperate. He had secretly liked Richie for a few years now, but more so since this summer when the whole Losers Club got closer than ever to defeat It. 

"Yeah." Richie looked back at Eddie, whose eyes were pleading for answers. "And he's right here," he said, blushing and running his thumb across the boy's cheek. Eddie's face lit up and happiness filled him once again. 

"I-I like you too, Rich," Eddie whispered, smiling.

The boys' faces were only inches apart with Eddie sitting on his lap. Richie wiped away any last tears. He cupped his hands around Eddie's jaw and pulled him closer. Their noses brushed before Eddie fully leaned in. Their lips met as they shared a gentle but loving kiss. He ran his hands through Richie's soft hair. This was the moment he'd been waiting for. 

They pulled away with shy smiles. "And about your mom being all mad at you - it's gonna get better, Eds."

It already has, Eddie thought.

A/N: IT is out of theaters now where I live and i didn't get to see it again :(