Detention

Eddie walked into the classroom, seeing a handful of students already seated at the desks. This was Eddie's first time in detention, though it wasn't his fault. Henry Bowers had pushed him that morning, causing him to accidentally hit and trigger the fire alarm. He'd shut it off moments later, but it was still an offense. Luckily the principal had let him off without a suspension, but he would still have to do a week's work of detention.

"Welcome to detention! There will be absolutely no yelling, fighting, or getting up from your seats for an hour," Mr. Birch grunted as he plopped down onto his chair in front of the room behind a pile of papers.

Eddie sighed as he took a seat near the back of the room. Great, a whole hour of boredom. Eddie grabbed his sketchbook and pencil box from out of his backpack. He wasn't the best at drawing, but it passed the time.

"Whatchya drawin?"

Eddie jumped in surprise upon hearing a voice behind him - he hadn't noticed someone had been watching him.

"Um, n-nothing anymore," Eddie stuttered, seeing the pencil line that now ran down his blank paper.

"Mind if I give it a try?" The tall, dark-haired boy asked as he slid into the desk seat next to him.

"Um, okay." Eddie hesitantly passed him his sketchbook. The boy leaned back in his chair, grabbing the book and twirling a pencil in his hand, beginning to draw.

"Who are you?" Eddie asked after moments of awkwardly staring at the undeniably attractive boy.

"Richie Tozier's the name," the boy confidently told him, pushing his large glasses further up his nose bridge. "You?"

"Eddie."

"Okay, Eds it is," Richie smirked.

"Don't call me that," Eddie smiled.

"Quiet!" Mr. Birch bellowed from the front of the room.

Richie scoffed. "Mr. Birch? More like Mr. BITCH-"

"Shut up, Richie!" Eddie kicked his shin under the desk. "You're gonna get us into more trouble," Eddie whispered.

"What's wrong with a little trouble, Eds? Isn't that why you're here?" Richie raised an eyebrow questioningly.

"What landed me in here wasn't my fault. Unlike you, I'm sure," Eddie retorted.

"Geez, Eds. That hurt," Richie dramatically put a hand over his heart and acted offended. "But what can I say? They don't call me Trashmouth for no reason."

Richie threw his legs up onto Eddie's desk. Eddie scrunched his nose in disgust and backed up.

"Ew, get your feet off of my desk! Do you know how many germs are on the bottom of your shoe that you just transferred onto my desk and in front of my face-"

"Okay, okay, calm down, firecracker," Richie subdued his ranting, lowering his legs but placing them across Eddie's lap instead and turning his body to face him. Eddie didn't object this time, but blushed like crazy. "You're cute," Richie added with a light laugh, seeing how flustered the boy was.

"I'm not cute," Eddie giggled.

"'Course you are. Even that damn giggle was adorable," Richie replied before checking his watch. He was supposed to meet with Ben today to help plan for his best friend Beverly's surprise birthday party.

"When will I see you again, Eds? Do you have detention again?" Richie asked with genuine interest.

"The whole week. You?"

"Yeah, me too," Richie lied. He didn't actually have detention then, but he made a mental note to get in trouble for the rest of the week so he could spend more time with him.

"Look, Eds, I'm sorry to cut this short but I'm supposed to go meet a friend now," Richie explained before putting finishing touches on his drawing.

"You're sneaking out of detention?" Eddie asked, taken aback at the boy's rebellious acts.

"Correct, my good sir!" Richie piped up in a bad English accent, ruffling Eddie's brown hair. "And that right there-" Richie pointed to Mr. Birch, who looked like he was about to fall asleep, "-is my cue to leave."

"Wait," Eddie said quickly as Richie got up. "Aren't you gonna take your drawing?"

"Keep it, babe. It's for you," Richie responded coolly before walking out of the classroom with a grin. 

Eddie picked up his sketchbook, completely expecting something vulgar to be drawn on it. Instead, it had a somewhat nice drawing of Eddie sitting at his desk just as he was currently was from Richie's point of view. It was captioned 'Eddie Spaghetti' with a heart, and signed 'Trashmouth' at the bottom of the page, too.

Eddie smiled to himself as he ran his thumb over the paper. Maybe detention wouldn't be so bad after all.

A/N: feel free to message me if you wanna be friends!