School Dance

Richie stared into his bedroom's dirty mirror and adjusted the bowtie to his light blue suit. Anyone, himself included, would be shocked to see Richie so dressed up. Derry's school dance was tonight, and get this - he was going with Eddie.

At least that's what he liked to tell himself. In reality, he and his mother would be picking him up and bring him to the school with him. A typical friend thing to do. But it still kind of counted as a date though, right?

"Richard!" His mother called from downstairs. "It's time to pick Eddie up."

"Coming!" Richie made sure he took advantage of this moment. His mother, Maggie Tozier, was actually noticing her son's existence for once.

"Well look at you, Richard!" Maggie gushed as his long legs draped with dress pants descended the staircase. "You look very, very handsome."

"Thanks, ma." Richie let a smile creep onto his face. He hadn't seen her express her happiness about him in ages.

"Gosh, I've gotta take a picture! Went will love this." Maggie smiled big as she grabbed the camera.

His father, Wentworth Tozier, was out at work. He worked long hours, leaving him out of Richie's life quite a bit. Maggie was a stay-home mom, however, so Richie was glad that at least she was there, even though she never seemed happy or up to talk.

"Perfect," Maggie whispered as she took the picture. She stared at Richie for a bit, as if finally realizing how much he'd grown up. She only took pictures on special occasions, and now this was her son, fifteen years old, going to his high school's winter dance.

"You've grown so much, Richard," Maggie said, her dark brown eyes glistening.

"Yeah, yeah," Richie replied, his words coming out more heartfelt than passive as he found himself hugging his mother, her hands stroking his hair while Richie wrapped his arms around the waist of her floral dress.

Richie turned his chin up to see his mother, her curly black hair tickling his face.

"You ready to head out?" Richie nodded.

***

Maggie pulled up to the Kaspbrak household and waved Richie on to get Eddie from inside. Hesitantly, he rang the doorbell, preparing himself to see the short boy. He was probably dressed up so cute, then again he was always cute-

Instead, he was met with the face of Mrs Kaspbrak as the door opened, her large stature filling up the door frame.

"Good evening miss," Richie started in the most polite tone he could muster. "I'm- well, we're, here to pick Eddie up."

The woman looked him up and down with intimidating eyes, as if expecting to be disgusted (as she usually was with Richie) but instead looking surprised at how well Richie had cleaned up, with both his manners and appearance.

"Well, Richard, I'll have you know that my Eddie Bear is sick. He shall not be attending any silly high school dance tonight."

"What the fuck?" Richie muttered under his breath, furrowing his eyebrows. She couldn't be serious. "Excuse me, miss, but I have to see him."

"Richard-" Mrs Kaspbrak started, though Richie had already pushed past her and was halfway up the stairs yelling "thanks!"

"Eddie?" Richie asked as he approached the door to his room and knocked lightly. "Eds?"

"Hey," Eddie said softly as he opened the door, still in his baby blue pajamas.

"Hey, you feeling okay?" Concern filled Richie's voice as he entered the room as he looked back and forth from the flush-faced boy and the numerous tissues in his wastebasket.