Chapter 1- I'll Show You How Fake You Really Are

Amanda's POV

You know that feeling when you decide not to try? When you think there's no point? That's me. With living. There's nothing you can do to prevent death. It's inevitable. So you live while it lasts right? Wrong. I've been teased with death. Like a cat with a feather on a stick. I've been put through situations where there is no hope. However, I survive and I'm sick of it. It's right there, just let me go.

If I'm not going to die, then why put me through these things? To test me? To see what I do? For me, life and death are merely a road to cross, but my feet just won't move.

As I look in the mirror, I take in my appearance. My hair look like birds had found shelter in it, and my eyes have bags that can carry pounds of groceries. I look at my arm. Now turning a sick purple and yellow from the hand that has gripped it so tightly. I remember that day. Another day caught, and another day spent in a damp, empty basement wondering when, or if, my family is going to find me and save me from this beast.

"I have you now," they said. The pain in my arm was becoming unbearable. Their hand grasped around tightly. The tears falling from the thought of what colour it will be when they release me, or better yet, if they release me. "I have seen you many times walking down the street. Heard your laughter in the halls. I've hunted you twice already. Thought you could be safe by moving away from your hometown? This time, I will end you. Show you what a selfish brat you were when you decided to leave." Sirens fill my ears, and the door is being kicked down.

"Hands in the air!" I hear before my vision turns black.

I shudder at the memory. That was in Florida. I moved to LA. They can't find me here. I won't let it happen. Keep a low profile, make it through high school, and get a steady job. That's what I plan to do.

I take a deep breath and try to tame my hair. First day at another school. I can't even count how many times I've switched. At this point, I'm not even sure I'll graduate with a balanced education. WestPoint High School is my new school, but probably not my last.

My rocky, and messed up past has been the reason why I can't make commitments. I don't have problems with my parents. We are a happy family, although I can tell my parents and my brother are getting tired of moving from place to place because of me. They try and hide it. For my sake. I still can't help but feel bad. Who wants to go state-hopping? It's annoying, and it puts a gaping hole through your wallet.

I rush into the bathroom when I check the time. 7:15 am. School starts at 8:00. I turn on the shower, and step in. Once the water touches me, I wince from the liquid seeping into the wound on my thigh. I grit my teeth, and scrub my body. When I'm done, I hop out, draw smiley faces on the foggy mirror, wrap myself in a towel, and check the time. 7:25. Damn, I thought I would be quicker.

I grab my pair of black jeans, my cream coloured crew neck, and my red plaid infinity scarf. I tie my hair up in a bun, and I pair it with black combat boots. I grab my backpack, and head downstairs. I am greeted with my parents speaking in hushed voices. When my mom sees me, her eyes widen and she quickly puts on a smile. Wiping away her worried facade.

"Hey sweetie," she chirps. "Would you like some pancakes? James helped make some." James is my older brother. When I was dealing with all this drama, he would help me. He's nineteen years old, he's graduated, and he does nothing except go to parties and get drunk. And stay at home shirtless watching How I Met Your Mother. I seriously don't see a job coming into his life anytime soon.