Chapter 16- You Can't Or You Won't?

Amanda's POV

The morning after I woke up with a pounding headache. My face was all sticky from having cried all night yesterday, and my pillow was drenched in my drool.

I sat up groggily and tried to make sense of the world spinning. I gripped my head in order for my vision to focus, but my headache didn't ease.

"Should've taken those pills," I murmured.

I stepped into the bathroom and took a quick shower. Almost slipping on the way out of the bathtub. I wrapped myself in my towel before proceeding to put in my clothes for the day. Once I was ready, I creaked open my door and heard voices coming from downstairs.

"Are you sure you want to go, Jason?" Mom asked.

"Uh, ya. I'm sure. Jacob said I could crash at his place, and I don't want to be a burden," Jason replied. His voice was sounding quite hoarse and I wondered if he had cried last night. "I've already told Amanda."

What?

"But you're no burden, son," Dad reassured.

"Really, Mr. and Mrs. Jones. I'll be okay. I kind of need to sort things out with my mom, too," Jason stated.

"Hmm, okay," My mom hummed in agreement. The sound of feet shuffling forward resonated, and the soft click of the door being closed was the last few sounds I heard before I headed downstairs.

"Morning," I said.

"Good morning," Dad replied. "Jason just left, but he said he already told you."

I had no doubt that this had something to do with last night. The sound of the zipper was probably him packing his suitcase. My heart clenched at my stupidity of not putting two and two together.

"Ya. He already told me," I lied, sliding my hands into the back pocket of my jeans. The familiar bump of my phone was in my left pocket, and my headphones were wrapped up in my right pocket.

"You want some toast?" Mom asked.

"Is it okay if I skipped? I gotta take the bus."

Seeing as Jason left, it was probable that he took the Mustang with him. Meaning I didn't have a ride. I had to rush to the bus station quick so I couldn't miss it. Transit buses were never on time. They were either late or early. They never come when they're supposed to.

I slid my converse, and my army green jacket on, and sprinted out the door. The cool wind bit at my face, flushing my cheeks pink. The tall green trees loomed over me and cast a small shadow on the chipping sidewalk.

I seriously need to get a car.

With a new plan of getting the money to buy one in mind, I pumped my legs faster. The wind was becoming colder; suffocating me and filling my lungs up with unwanted air. It became hard to breathe and I kept gasping, but I only ran harder. My backpack was sloshing violently against my body, and I let out a strangled noise when my water bottle hit my ribs.

Finally, the glass hut came into view. I jumped over a few littered cans, and made my way inside. The wait wasn't long since the bus was bound to come in a minute or so. There was no one else in the bus stop. They probably got rides. I could've called Kallie, but she might've been with Jacob. Bus number 41 strolled up to the bus stop, and I eagerly climbed inside. Showing my student ID so that I didn't have to pay the fee, the bus driver nodded curtly and began to close the doors.

I decided to take a seat in the back. I pulled my headphones and phone out, and plugged in. Letting the song Feeling by Justin Bieber and Halsey fill my ears. The walking distance from my house to WestPoint was about twenty minutes. Car would be seven minutes, and bus would take twelve because of constantly having to stop to pick up other students.