i'm not like other girls *sips tea after inhaling an entire cake* i'm worse

Suoh

Suoh.

Meaning "ruler," this surname is well-known, but not so common. What puts value to the name are the families behind it. One such family being our own, the Suohs.

Long had our family ruled over other empires and corporations as the years passed. Long had our family ruled with its great patriarchs that raised the name higher generation after generation. But it wasn't the patriarchs that grew the Suoh empire with their supposed power from the tip of their fingers.

No. Far from it.

And Dad did not hesitate to speak up about our family's history, not under obligation, but for the pride he held over the distinguished and intelligent figures of our family.

It was during his visits, when René and I were rather young and curious, staring at the world we existed in with eyes of wonder. I don't really understand why Dad decided it best to raise the topic with a child still trying to grasp reality, but it was just one of those moments that became a memory I forever held close to my heart.

Afternoon light streamed relentlessly through the swaying tendrils of the oak tree I sat beneath with René and Dad, the three of us enjoying the embrace of the environment with a picnic. The air felt cool and fresh as the flowers appeared more vibrant and alive. The essence of Spring was in full bloom around us.

Sitting on the blanket with an unpleasant snoozing René to my right and an obnoxious snoring Dad to my left, I stared up at the vast blue canvas of the sky, the clouds floating by resembling fluffy cotton. The world sure looked big, and the more I swallowed it in, the more small I felt.

Why is there more in this world than what my eyes can see?

It is a simple childish thought, but still complicated nonetheless. However, the unsettling question wouldn't go away.

Why does the world hide its truths?

"What an expression you're making, my dear little vegetable. And what a striking resemblance I see between you and her the closer I look," Dad spoke up out of the blue, surprising me in the process.

I glanced down at his carefree and relaxed figure, wondering how he could feel so when dressed in a buttoned shirt and formal pants. But I suppose this is Dad's way of dressing casual.

Instead of asking who I resembled, I decided to stay quiet, not because I wasn't not curious, but if I were to speak up, he'd instantly pull away from his moment of recollection.

"You know, history of the Suoh Empire has been passed down from generation to generation, growing with something new and changing," he explained, the corners of his lips now twitching up, but I couldn't tell if he was smiling or sarcastically smirking. "But none ever discuss the real heroes of our family."

Interest grew within me over the hint of a long story, that I hadn't realized I laid down next to him until he tugged me closer.

"You know how our patriarchs were decided... not based on the level of intelligence, but based on birth. The firstborn always wins the seat... of course, sadly, gender mattered."