Chapter 8

Normani's POV

I sit in the library with Ally, finishing up homework. I stare at the question for a few and scrunch my face up, the fuck?

"Ally you understand this?" I hold the worksheet in front of her and point to the problem.

She purses her lips and glances at me, "Nnn, you know I'm still in algebra, can't relate."

"I ain't bout to stress over this, my teacher gon give me a strong seventy five and we gon call it a day." I pack everything into my bag and shut off the computer.

Ally smiles as we walk out the library and nudges my shoulder, "Sooo, you and Lauren?"

I grin and arch my brow, "What about us?"

"You tell me!"

"Elaborate Ms. Hernandez."

"Okay. You say y'all not together but there's kissing, hand holding, cuddling, a series of names, may I continue?" She smirks.

I laugh and get into her car, "We're not dating yet."

"Y'all wasting time? Mess."

"Not entirely, we're going on a date Friday and then everything'll be legit."

She wiggles her brows and starts the car up, "Oooh, what's planned?"

"Different things, I'm actually supposed to go to her apartment, can you drop me?"

"Yea, sure. Quick question, what are you gonna do about Jilly?"

I sigh and rub my forehead, "Man, I don't know. I'll figure something out though, I genuinely like Lauren a lot and I'm not letting her ruin this."

__

I lay with Lauren on her bed, watching TV. I run my fingers through her wavy hair and she wraps her legs around mine.

"So like, what's all the instruments you can play?" She says while tilting her head at me.

"Oh, just piano and guitar."

"What type of guitar?"

I smile at her interest and make a thinking face, "Um, mostly bass."

"Next time we're at your house you're showing me."

I nod and bite on my lip, "Aight bet."

"Okay let's see how well you can play the piano and sing," She sits up and smirks, sliding the keyboard towards the bed.

"I could say the same for you, you know."

"Let's test it," She plays one of the keys and smiles.

"Okay move over then."

I move next to her and click the keys on my side.

Baby, baby, are you listening?

I focus on the keys and hold on to the melody, "Wondering where you've been all my life. I just started living, ooh, oh."

"Ooh, oh. Baby, are you listening? Oh," I turn my head to glance at her and our eyes connect.

Her eyes have this look in it, not Love but not far from it. I can tell she adores me just as much as I do her, she smiles at me and I give her a small smile, looking back to the keys.

And when you say you need me
Know I need you more
I adore you

"Baby, can you hear me when I'm crying out for you? I'm scared, oh, so scared."

Oh wow, I wasn't expecting her voice to be that beautiful. I stare at her as she flows out each run and note.

"But when you're near me I feel like I'm standing with an army of men armed with weapons. Hey, ohh," She smiles while swaying.

I kiss her cheek slowly, not wanting to distract her, "I love lying next to you, I could do this for eternity, you and me."

"We're meant to be in Holy matrimony. God knew exactly what he was doing when he led me to you."

Her voice is so...

We harmonize the chorus then I just watch her play around on different keys. I sigh and look down at my hands, none of this is gonna last. She's a mortal, we won't have eternity, she might not even feel the same about me once she finds out the truth, I'm gonna have to tell her at some point eventually. I'm living a lie and I know everything is gonna go wrong soon, I sense it.

She stops and rubs my arm softly, "What's wrong babe?"

"It's nothing, just family stuff," I shake my head and shrug.

"Everything okay?"

No, nothing is okay or will be.

"Yea, it'll be fine."