Chapter 18

Normani's POV

I sit with my aunt in the room full of instruments, doing something she wanted to try. I stand the guitar on the floor and rest my head on the wall, lazily strumming it.

"You like it?" My aunt turns to me and raises her brow.

I nod and smile, broken out my thoughts, "Yea, you already know it sounds nice auntie."

"Yea but, I like your feedback. You're giving me a bunch of one worded answers too, what's wrong?"

I give her a sad smile and shake my head, "Nothing I can control."

I lower my head, sighing and continuing to play with the strums.

She stands up and makes her way over, squatting in front of me. "What's wrong?"

I keep my eyes on the guitar and shrug, humming.

She grabs my chin, tilting my head up and softly calls me, "Normani."

I look into her eyes and tears build up in mine, "I'm scared."

She looks at me confused and quirks her brow, "You're scared?"

"Not of someone...of something happening."

"Well, what?" She wipes the few tears and caresses my cheek with her thumb.

"Lauren, everything's about to go downhill and I don't even know what it is so I can try to stop it. I..." I stop to let out a breath as more tears fall, "I love her, a lot and I don't want to cause I know I can't."

"Don't say that, you can fall in love with whoever you want. Who we are doesn't change that, it just depends on the other person." She kisses my forehead and hugs me tightly, "Whatever it is, I'm sure you'll be able to fix it."

I nod my head and wipe my face, I lean against the wall again.

"I love you, everything will be okay."

"I love you too auntie Nika."

I go back to lightly strumming the guitar, continuing to think about Lauren.

My aunt kisses my cheek and stands up, walking towards the door. "I gotta go meet your uncle in Queensbridge, we'll be back soon."

I give her a smile of acknowledgement and she blows me a kiss before walking out.

I stare up at the ceiling and chuckle to myself, the fact I really thought this would be good after what happened the last time I was in love with a mortal. Can only blame myself I guess.

I try to ignore everything around me, I tap my foot slowly and close my eyes.

"If you ever leave me baby, leave some morphine at my door. Cause it would take a whole lot of medication to realize what we used to have, we don't have it anymore."

I think about all there is about Lauren and feel my heart fill up but break at the same time.

"So keep in mind all the sacrifices I'm making to keep you by my side and keep you from walking out the door."

My mind goes to the last time I fell in love with a mortal and I hope with everything in me that the same outcome doesn't happen with Lauren.

"But they're just afraid of something they can't understand. Ooh, but little darling watch me change their minds. Yea, for you I'll try, I'll try, I'll try, I'll try. I'll pick up these broken pieces till I'm bleeding, if that'll make it right."

I'm so in love with her that it hurts and could possibly hurt her too.

"Cause there'll be no sunlight if I lose you, baby. There'll be no clear skies if I lose you, baby. Just like the clouds, my eyes will do the same if you walk away. Everyday, it will rain, rain, rain."