Chapter Sixteen

"What?!" Mello yelled surprised at the news. "L's dead?! And Shadow committed suicide?!"

   "I'm afraid so." Roger said to him.

   "It was Kira wasn't it?!"

   "Probably." Mello started freaking out about how he didn't get to choose either himself or Near as his successor. Mello decided to leave to leave the orphanage that day even if he was fifteen. Little did he and Near know, L and (y/n) had a plan to catch Light Yagami and it would all start with Mello and Near years after.

~time skip~

   "Light! This is Emiko!" Misa introduced her new friend to Light. "She's super smart and she wants to help with the Kira investigation."

   Light looked at the small girl. She had white curly hair with bangs covering her eyes a little. Her eyes were a dark shade of blue that they almost seemed purple, and she was wearing a black dress that fit her body nicely. He also saw that she had freckles across her face and winged eyeliner with some eyeshadow on her eyes.

   "I think she would be a great addition to the investigation." Light said smiling at the girl.

   She gave him a big smile and she giggled.

   "Thank you so much!" She said. Light's eyes widened and felt a little uneasy. He felt as if he were talking to Alice, but he knew she was dead and Rem would be by her side if that were the case. They walked into where everyone was currently working and everyone looked at her funny.

   "Who is this, Light?" Aizawa asked him confused as to why she was here.

   "This is Emiko, I think she'll be a great addition to the investigation, since Alice..." Light paused and pretended to be upset. Matsuda walked up to the girl and blushed.

   "W-wow! You're really pretty." He said as he stuttered.

   "Thank you, But I'm actually married." She told him showing the ring on her ring finger. Matsuda groaned and complained on how all the good ones were taken.

   Light told Emiko about everything that had happened with the Kira case up to this point. How his father died, Near, and Mello. Light saw how quickly she understood all of this. He didn't think she would be this smart.

   Matsuda burst through the door panicking. He told everyone to turn on the TV, it was Demigawa. There was a huge crowd around the SPK building and they were all trying to get inside.

   Near was on the line talking to Light about getting out of the building. He mentioned something about being Kira and that made Emiko look at Light suspiciously.

   "May I speak to the girl in the room with you, L?"  Near asked him.

   "What for?" He asked not wanting to hand the phone over.

   "Light." She said. He understood and handed her the phone. "Near."

   "Hello Shadow, it's been a while." He said smirking. She smirked and walked out of the room to speak with him more privately.

   "Hello, lad." She greeted him sweetly with her Irish accent revealed. She was going undercover to get close to Light and catch him as Kira for what he's done. Lawliet was against the plan but she knew she had to do it. "You have to get out quickly. You know what to do, right?"

   "Yes, ma'am." He said. She always had a bit of a soft spot for Near and Mello. Near reminded (y/n) of a little sheep and Mello reminded her of a teddy bear she called him a teddy bear and actually liked it since she was like a mother to him and Near, but he'd never admit it. She was very close to the two boys, they looked at her like she was their mother.