Dysfunctional Family

"Dad, can we go see Mommy?" I ask, tugging his shirt.

"Honey, what've I told you? One, don't interrupt me while I'm working, and two, your mom isn't coming back." He says, rolling a joint.

"Dad, did Mommy leave because of me? Am I a bad girl?" I ask, looking down.

"Of course not! Don't let anyone let you feel bad, ever, okay? You're a great little girl, but your mom had many issues. If your mom ever comes back, don't talk to her. She's never up to no good... I learned that the hard way." Dad says. I get onto his lap and he hugs me.

"Don't worry, my little pebble. Imma take care of you, always." Dad whispers. I smile and fall asleep in his arms.

I wake up with a start on the couch. I hate bad dreams. I look at my phone and see that it's 9:30 at night. The apartment was surprisingly quiet.

"Hakeem?" I ask loudly. No answer. He's probably out. So much for spoiling me. Slowly getting up, I make my way to my room to change into pajamas.

I grab some food from the fridge and plop myself back on the couch, listening to "Best I Ever Had" by Drake

I grab some food from the fridge and plop myself back on the couch, listening to "Best I Ever Had" by Drake. I LOVE that song. It's so freaking good, OML! I had it on full blast on my headphones, so I didn't hear someone plop themselves on the couch next to me.

"Aah!" I scream, jumping up.

"Ow! The hell?" Keem asks, covering his ears.

"Whoops. Sorry, babe." I say, kissing his cheek. I look at his mouth and see blood.

"Why do you look like you just sucked someone's blood?" I ask.

"Cause my dad just punched the shit out of me." Keem mumbles. I get up and get the first aid kit. I sit next to Keem and fix his wound.

"Why did he punch you? It was probably some stupid shit." I say, using alcohol to clean the wound.

"I told him I was gonna take the Empire in front of a bunch of people. Including Snoop Dogg." He says casually.

"Wait! You embarrassed him in front of Snoop Dogg? Shoot, I woulda punched you too." I say.

"Whatever. I don't regret it though."

"You should. You never know how long he's gonna be here..." I say, looking down. I can feel Keem's eyes on me.

"You okay, Rocky?" He asks. I nod. I didn't tell him what Kimberly and Rider told me cause I honestly only half believed them. I gotta find out myself.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Besides, I would apologize to your dad if I were you. He kinda pays the rent for this place and I'm tryna live here so..."

"I'm not apologizing to him. Plus, he wouldn't stop paying for the place." Keem scoffs.

"Do you not see where Mal lives? And that was just cause he wanted to come out." I say. Keem rolls his eyes and sighs. Then, I remember something important. I needed to leave. Why the hell did I put on pajamas?