When Tragedy Strikes

"The ASAs are tomorrow, Rock!" Tiana says, smiling at me. We sat in a studio at Empire, just talking. I was supposed to be producing Jamal and Freda's song, but Mom told me to stay as far away from her as possible. Plus, Mal's little boy toy D-Major is producing now, and who am I to stand in the way of love?

 Plus, Mal's little boy toy D-Major is producing now, and who am I to stand in the way of love?

"I know! I already know what I'm gonna wear! Rhonda's had me in wardrobe all day yesterday." I say, smiling back. "Oh, I have a question for you, Ti."

"What?" She asks.

"Well, ya know, I'm getting married soon, and I was wondering if you wanted to be my maid of honor." I say. She smiles wide.

"Uh, yes! Of course I'll be your maid of honor!" She says, hugging me.

"Thanks, Ti!" I say, smiling back.

"And I can't wait for you to meet my girlfriend, Rock! She's so nice, and I think you'll like her." Ti says.

"Can't wait." My phone buzzes in my pocket and I see a notification from my calendar. "Oh crap, I gotta go. See you later?" 

"Of course! I need someone to do my nappy ass hair!" Ti says.

"That's called Black Girl Magic hair, hunty." Ti laughs and I hug her again before walking out of the studio. As I'm walking, I bump into Keem and Mal.

"Dang Rock, where're you going? Almost broke my abs." Mal says, making me laugh.

"What abs?" I ask, still laughing.

"Yeah Rock, where are you going?" Keem asks.

"Brooklyn." I say, nonchalantly. 

"The hell's in Brooklyn?" 

"An event that I'm already extra late for, so if y'all could just scooch out the way." I say, trying to get past them.

"Wait, we wanna go." Keem says.

"We do?" Mal asks.

"Yeah, we do." I sigh.

"Fine. I honestly don't know why you have to come, but okay." 

"Huh, I expected more of a fight from her." Keem says.

"Pregnancy's changed her." Mal says, and Keem nods in agreement.

"Shut up and let's go." I say, glaring at them. We get in a car and go to Brooklyn. The three of us get out of the car in front of a big and tall, nicely built house.

"So, where are we, babe?" Keem asks.

"We're at an orphanage, Keem." Mal says. 

"Woah, we don't need no more kids, Rock. I already got two on the way, I don't need anymore yet." Jamal and I look at each other before looking at Keem.

"And the lesson is, keep it in ya pants." I say.

"You always talking, but don't say shit when I'm giving you-"