Escape Room

"Please, Evan. I'm begging you." Jared got down on his knees, waving his arms around. "Please come."

Evan shook his head nervously. "Um...no I really...I really don't want
t-to..."

"Evan. It's my birthday! And my one and only birthday wish is that you come to the Escape Room! If you don't, it'll just be me and Connor, and we both know Connor's not the biggest book on the shelf, if ya know what I mean." Jared winked, and Evan sighed.

"Fine...I'll go," Jared pumped his fists into the air and hugged Evan.

"You won't regret this!"

Evan hoped so.

🔹🔶🔹

The lady working at the Escape Room lead them through a long hallway. She handed Jared a walkie-talkie. "If anything happens or you need a hint, just press the side button and say 'Code Red'." While Jared tried it out excitingly, Evan took a quick glance at the other boy who came with them. Connor noticed and Evan quickly looked down and shuffled his feet.

The lady opened up a big steel door. "This is the first room," the lady explained. "Once you find the door and unlock it, it will lead you to another room you need to figure out in order to escape. You have 1 hour. Good luck," she told them, which made Evan even more nervous.

The door opened up to a small, dark, room, with sand on the floor up to Evan's ankles. It was getting in his shoes. Once they were all inside, the lady locked the door.

This was it.

🔹🔶🔹

"Alright guys! Where's the light switch?" Jared flailed his arms aimlessly, then hit a button on the wall. Nothing happened. "Humph," Jared grunted, then ran his hands along the wall. He found another switch and pressed it. A light turned on. Once Evan's eyes adjusted, he realized there was not only one light switch, but multiple, scattered all over the walls. There was a box on the floor in the corner, and Jared tried to open it. "It won't budge, but there's no key hole," he said confusingly.

Connor spotted a shovel on the sandy ground, picking it up. He looked at Evan, shrugged, then started digging.

Evan noticed a chain attached to the wall, and picked it up. The other end, a magnet, emerged from the sand. "Um...maybe this?" Jared grabbed it from Evan's hands and set it on the box, then popped it open. "A key!" Jared explained, taking it out.

"Jared, there's no fucking door," Connor said. "Where's it supposed to go?"

Evan saw a small key hole in the corner. "Maybe th-"

But Jared cut him off. "Well, Connor, I don't know! It's not all my problem! Maybe if you tried helping..."

"Helping? Helping?" Connor did not look happy. "I'm trying! All you did was turn on a fucking light! Oh, good job, Jared! You can flip a light switch!" The sarcasm in Connor's voice was strong, and Evan felt his breathing quicken. He didn't want them to fight. He never even wanted to come. Just being there was giving him anxiety. He didn't need anymore.

Jared huffed. "Well at least I actually did something! I bet you never even wanted to come."

"Come on Jared, you know the only reason I came here was-" But Connor was interrupted with a loud sob from Evan.

Evan sank down against the wall, his head in his hands, shaking and sobbing. He couldn't get any air in. Tears streamed down his face. He was a mess.

"Shit," Connor muttered and rushed and sat next to him. "Evan, can you hear me? What's your name?"

Evan couldn't answer. He sobbed, then his breath hitched and he sobbed again. Breathe, he thought. But he couldn't.

"Evan, breathe. Follow my breathing. JARED STOP PANICKING YOU'RE MAKING IT WORSE." Jared, who was pacing behind Connor, stopped immediately.

Evan's head fell onto Connor's chest and he sagged his shoulders, still shaking. "Evan, in and out. In...out." Once Evan's breathing slowed enough, he picked up his head and wiped the tears. "Good, what's your name?"

"E-Ev-Evan Han-Han-Hansen," Evan replied weakly and sighed. "Th-thanks. I'm...sorry. I shouldn't...I shouldn't have come. I shouldn't have. I...I ruined everything."

"No. No, you didn't, it was my fault. And Jared's. If we didn't start fighting, this wouldn't have happened."

"N-no, Connor. It wasn't your fault. I knew today wasn't going to be a good day. I've known since this morning. I should have-"

Connor cupped his hand over Evan's mouth and kissed his forehead. "Evan, shut up. It's my fault." Evan's eyes widened and he nodded his head. Connor helped him stand up.

"Y-you said something...before. The only reason you came here was...what?" Evan wondered aloud.

But Jared answered for him. "CONNOR HAS A HUUUUUGE CRUSH ON YOU." He speed his arms apart as far as they would go, indicating the greatness of Connor's crush.

Connor's face flushed and he looked down. "Jared said that if I came he'd help me ask you out. Cause I kinda...like you. Sorta."

Evan instantly blushed. "Uh...um
o-o-okay."

"What?"

"Okay. I'll...um...go out. With you I mean. Not like-"

Connor smiled slightly. "Cool."

The clock on the wall rang. "And we are out of time," Jared shrugged. "But this," he pointed at Connor and Evan, "this is even better. THE SHIP HAS FINALLY SAILED PEOPLE!!! THIS IS THE BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!"

Connor took Evan's hand in his and smiled at him. Evan blushed.

The lady opened the door. "Sorry guys. Better luck next time."

But none of the boys minded.

As they walked down the hallway, Connor stopped them, mid-step. "Hey, What happened in that Escape Room, stays in that Escape Room, you got it?" He glared at them.

Evan and Jared nodded their heads, eyes wide with terror.

His face softened. "Good, cause I'm hungry. Jared, you said something about cake..."

A/N
I basically got my inspiration from an Escape Room I did a month ago. It gave me so much anxiety, because we were basically yelling the whole time, and one of my friends kept scaring me...

Ben's horizontal running is amazingness