[I] Pre-Ceremony

Requested by FandomsAreEverywhere
So this was going to just be one oneshot, but last night I was thinking 'How could I top myself with the last ever oneshot in this book? I know I'll do three in one day!' So now this is a trilogy.

...someone pray for my sanity.

"Come on, Ev, you can't stay in there forever," Jared chuckled as he waited impatiently for Evan hurry up.

"Jared, I-I-I don't think we should do this," Evan called in distress from the bathroom. "Maybe it's too soon, maybe we should wait a little longer..."

"Evan Hansen, you have been engaged to him for a year and a half now, you can't hold it off any longer," Jared crossed his arms, slightly bouncing on the queen sized bed in the middle of their hotel room in anticipation. "I'm sorry, but this isn't an English essay you can just hold off until the last second. Now get out here and show me. I wanna see your beautiful face."

Soon enough, Jared's whining got the best of him, and Evan was standing in front of Jared, decked out in a chic white suit and tie.

"Oh, very fancy, you look good in that color," Jared scrunched his nose up and grinned excitedly. "Obviously, I mean Connor's the darker one of you two so it makes sense that you'd..."

"Shut it, I thought the best man was supposed to help the groom when they were having a mental breakdown," Evan crossed his arms and felt a fresh set of nervous tears fill his eyes. He'd been in a mix of excitement and dread while he waited in agony for this day to come. And now that it was here, the dread overcame his excitement and now he was just filled with worry.

"Hey I thought we'd agreed I was the 'Best Man of Honor'," Jared frowned at the sight of his panicking best friend. "But seriously dude, I thought you guys have been planning this for months."

"Yes, but everyone knows weddings never go as well as you want it to go," Evan sighed and his sweaty hands moved to play with the smooth cloth of his suit jacket unconsciously. "Like what if the..."

"You need to calm yourself down and shut up. As long as you're alive and Connor is alive and the priest is alive the ceremony part should be okay," Jared pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "Unless Connor pulls the old..."

"No don't even go there," Evan shook his head vigorously, trying to remove that terrible thought from his head. "Please...just go get changed. The ceremony's gonna start in a few hours."

"Yes sir," his best friend stood up straight and saluted before taking his matching suit into the bathroom.

As soon as he heard the door lock, Evan let out a long sigh, sitting on the edge of the hotel room bed. He ran through his mental checklist a few more times before praying that nothing goes wrong. He hated all the stress this stupid wedding was giving him. He could only hope that everyone would show up, hope that the venue looked the way they wanted, hope that the food was ready. It was times like these where he could really use Connor, with his sweet eyes and comforting embrace. But his fiancé [more like soon-to-be husband, but that phrase still sounded foreign to Evan] had told him that he didn't want to see him until the ceremony that day.

He thought he could do it, but spending 24 hours without Connor was harder than Evan had thought it would be. He missed the stolen kisses and the cuddles and the warmth at night when they snuggled under the covers. Connor wasn't there to comfort him when he'd had a panic attack the night before. And sure, Jared was nice and tried to help and it did make him feel better but it wasn't the same. Connor was just perfect. There was no other way to explain it.

A few seconds later Jared hopped out of the bathroom and made a stylish pose before strutting around their small hotel room like it was a runway. "Do I look good or do I look good?"

The blonde giggled nervously. "You look good."

"Look at us," Jared wrapped an arm around his friend's shoulder comfortingly. "We look great. Like two men ready to take on the world. How does your last few minutes of being a bachelor feel?"

The blonde shrugged. "I just want to get this over with so..."

"You and him can go on your honeymoon," Jared sent him a knowing smirk. "And you can..."

"Okay, and that's where we stop that conversation," Evan frowned, shaking his leg in anticipation. "What time do we have to be there again?"

Jared checked his phone. "In like 5 minutes. We should get going then."

"Yeah," Evan grabbed his jacket and followed his friend out of their hotel room door and down the hallway.

This was it.

...totally didn't procrastinate and just finish writing this 2 minutes before I published this.

totally didn't procrastinate and just finish writing this 2 minutes before I published this